• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sunrise with 500mm lens, GH4

#1 Bryanyc
Hi, I am about to shoot a "holy grail" sunrise over some pyramids that are some miles away. I am going to shoot with a tele with an equivalent focal length of between 300 and 500mm on a GH4.
My questions:
1. Given the angle of view and the movement of the sun should I stick to an interval of two seconds or go to a one second interval to capture more frames for a smoother look? Would there be too much motion of the sun between captures on the two second interval, especially when the shutter speed gets high? Or is motion blur on the output the solution using the two second interval?

2. I am using the internal camera intervalometer. I can change the shutter speed on the camera during the exposure (just barely when using a 1s exposure during a 1s interval - the wifi app does not allow it) so I can manually ramp the shutter. However, the longest exposure the camera can set manually is 1 second! I will be shooting with a wide open aperture of about f4.5. I assume I should start with a fairly high iso of 1600 and longest possible (1s) shutter speed and ramp the shutter first and then the iso down? Would using a .3 ND be wise or no?

3. Should I just use aperture priority, matrix metering and exposure bias and fix it in LRTimelapse ? Wink
#2 Gunther
You could go for 3 (I think you'd need 2secs interval, not longer, so you won't be able to adjust manually). Another option would be to shoot this as video and accelerate later. The movement will be very fast with 500mm.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Bryanyc
Thanks for the reply.

What does it mean "go for 3"? A 3 second interval? Or a .3 ND filter?

Video is indeed an option. Using auto exposure I assume? Any drawbacks to this approach? The low light part?
#4 Gunther
I mean your option 3. :-)

When shooting this I assume it won't be very dark, since you will be starting right before sunrise.
Best would be to plan two or three days to give that shoot a couple of tries.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: