• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sunset through rise of Milky Way Problem

#1 bnaden
I am using qDD 2.9 to shoot time-lapse from sunset through the rise of the milky way. I am getting inconsistencies with the interval. I am not using interval ramping. In one case, once I got to my max exposure (15 sec), the interval was changed from 18 sec to 36 sec. for the rest of the session. In another case, every 8th shot, the interval was changed from 16 sec to 33 sec. When I use the Nikon intervalometer, the interval does not change.

Also, I'm seeing both shutter speed and iso not consistently changing for longer exposure and higher iso. It generally trends in that direction, but there are several occurrences of the shutter being shorter than the previous shot and the iso being lower than the previous shot. I am not making any adjustments to the target.

Here's my configuration:

Nikon D810, TP Link 3040, ipad air 2 running iOS 8.3, Qdsldashboard 2.9
Holy Grail: min/max aper: 11/2.8, Min/Max shutter speed: 1/20 15sec, interval: 18 sec
#2 Gunther
If the interval doubles the, the camera was not ready, when the next trigger comes.
But I'm experiencing differing intervals too with qDDB's timer, even if there is enough "dark-time". I already told Zoltan about this, hopefully he will be able to fix it soon. Until then I'd recommend using an external intervalometer.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 bnaden
Thanks for the reply. Since the intervalometer works fine with 3 seconds of dark time, I agree that there may be a bug in qDDB. I also am having irregular aperture and ISO changes as well. I've attached a file that summarizes the changes I experienced with one shoot. I did not not make any reference images changes. Should this behavior be expected? Or is this a bug as well?
Attached Files

.pdf   changing ss apert iso.pdf (Size: 18.82 KB / Downloads: 7)
#4 Gunther
That oscillating is certainly not normal. I suspect that you've turne on "Auto Direction"? I'd suggest you leave that off. Just set it to "Sunset" or "Sunrise" according to your situaion and leave the other settings on default.

What you are experiencing is "Auto Direction" with a threshold that is too low. I've not found any situation yet where I would really have needed "Auto Direction", so just leave it off.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 bnaden
Thanks so much. This software is so powerful that it's easy to miss something. I appreciate your prompt and helpful support.

...also check out: