• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Syrp Genie Mini - bluetooth connection question

#1 aleks
Hi,

my finger is very, very short to the 'buy' button for a Syrp Genie Mini, the only thing i could not figure out with reviews or the provided documentation - i hope to find someone who owns one and can answer this question:

Do i need a bluetooth connection all the time the Genie processes its shoot-move-shoot job or is it possible to switch of bt on the phone and/or walk away? If not, what happens if the bt connection gets lost?

I found that the Radian 2 from Alpine Labs is able to do this (you have to upload your task into the device, and than it runs completly for itself), but it needs a cable, it is much more bulky and also heavier and i do not need more than a trigger connection to the cam because i use my mft much more often then my bulky nikon.

Cheers,
Aleks
#2 rodrigo
Hi Aleks,

Please bear with me, we will soon find and answer, straight from the horses mouth.
During my use of the Genie Mini the Android phone has gone off an the camera carried shooting, it has done the same with my Android tablet, but as I said we soon will have an answer.

kind regards,

Rodrigo
#3 rodrigo
Hi Aleks,

As promised and here it is straight from Syrp and I quote:

(sic)

[size=x-small][font='Lucida Grande', Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font='Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Sans', Verdana, Tahoma, sans-serif]May 24, 09:06[/font][/size]
[size=small][font='Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Grande', Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif]HI Rodrigo, 

Once you have set up and started your video or time lapse move via Bluetooth, you can disconnect from the app and Bluetooth.
Your move will continue and finish.[/font][/size]
[/font][/size]

[size=x-small][font='Lucida Grande', Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font='Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Grande', Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif](sic/end)[/font][/size][/font][/size]

[size=x-small][font='Lucida Grande', Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font='Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Grande', Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif]I hope this helps, if there is any more questions please don't hesitate to ask, by the way I'm not in any way or form [size=small][font='Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Grande', Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif]connected with Syrp, I just happen to own a GenieMini,[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]

[size=x-small][font='Lucida Grande', Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font='Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Grande', Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif]kind regards,[/font][/size][/font][/size]

[size=x-small][font='Lucida Grande', Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font='Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Grande', Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif]Rodrigo[/font][/size][/font][/size]
#4 aleks
[size=small][font='Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Grande', Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif]HI Rodrigo,[/font][/size]

thank you for your first and second answer and doing my job to asking the manufacturer :-)

I will write them to feature this in their documentation, thats a key feature to use or not to use it.
I just bought one unit.

Aleks
#5 rodrigo
Ho Aleks,

No problem, you welcome. Please let us know how you get on.

kind regards,

Rodrigo
#6 aleks
Hey [font='Open Sans', 'Myriad Pro', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Rodrigo,[/font]

[font='Open Sans', 'Myriad Pro', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]i needed some time, but now i was able to run my first test flight.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', 'Myriad Pro', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font='Open Sans', 'Myriad Pro', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The location is not as dark as possible, but one of the darkest regions in germany, and we are short before midsummer, so i was not sure to succeed (to get enough stars.)[/font]
[/font]

[font='Open Sans', 'Myriad Pro', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I used a Pana GX8 with a Samyang/Wallimex 7,5mm manual fisheye, starting with ISO 200, 1/25 f4 at 21:45 local time (53.063917° degree of latitude, early dawn), it ended by itself with exhausted camera battery at 02:20 in the morning.[/font]
[font='Open Sans', 'Myriad Pro', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font='Open Sans', 'Myriad Pro', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I added more and more shuttertime all 15 minutes up to 13sec, than i increased ISO up to 2500 all 15 minutes (ISO 2500 reached at 23:45), than i went to bed Smile[/font]

[font='Open Sans', 'Myriad Pro', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The interval of the genie was at 20 seconds, i found some not shoot intervals, possibly through changing settings at the camera as genie tried to release the shutter - i will explore this behaviour further.[/font]
[font='Open Sans', 'Myriad Pro', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]It is possible to change cam battery in 5 seconds, i have to check, if the cam needs further time to boot or something.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', 'Myriad Pro', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I made a mistake at one timesetting, which i was not able to remove even in holy grail mode.[/font]
[font='Open Sans', 'Myriad Pro', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I noticed, that youtube tries to improve the uploaded mp4, it is worse than on my computer, but i am only on a very thin internet connection in vacation, i will explore this later on and possibly change to vimeo.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', 'Myriad Pro', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The test flight:[/font]
[font='Open Sans', 'Myriad Pro', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW6SyrYMoos[/font]

Cheers,
Aleks
#7 rodrigo
Hi Aleks,

Nice shooting, it looks pretty smooth to me, though as you said not many stars, a couple of shooting stars, myself have not shot any star timelpse. The trick is to avoid the trail by having it on too long exposure, I am in Liverpool not far from city centre so it will be hard for me to find dark night, I probably would if I went to the south of Chile, but some places in Ireland are pretty dark, as my teacher use to say"need to try harder" lol. How you finding the mini?

Regards,

Rodrigo
#8 rodrigo
Hi Aleks,

Try this link http://makezine.com/project/how-to-captu...night-sky/ it seem tone easy to follow aNd self explanotary. I may give it a try.

Regards,

Rodrigo
#9 aleks
Rodrigo, 

this are not shooting stars but airplanes. :-) 

I do astrophotography for a while, I am familiar with the '500 rule'  to avoid startrails (take a look in my flickr profile if interested). 

Biggest problem for me at this point is YouTube which removes stars from my rendering by 'upload improvements'. I will investigate that further, when I am back an a bigger Internet connection. 

The genie mini  works fine, as mentioned before I had some non shoots, I will check this by test shots.

...also check out: