• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canon 5D Mark III works when plugged in, but not via Wifi and TP-Link

#1 echeng
Hello, everyone. I am super excited by the prospect of being able to do holy grail timelapse shooting using a wireless tablet. I downloaded DslrDashboard and have my Canon 5D3 working well when connected via OTG cable.

However, I am having problems getting the 5D3 working wirelessly using a TP-Link TL-MR3040 v2 and flashed it per the online instructions. I plug the router into the camera and connect my Nexus 7 to the network, and start DslrDashboard. I click on the button that connects to OpenWRT, accept the default ip address, and whatl I get is a drop-down notification that shows a Canon 5D Mark III (it clearly sees it). I can't take any action, though. After around 10 seconds, the camera indicator goes away, and there is no further notification even after repeated attempts to connect. A reboot of the router allows me to get the camera dropdown to show up again.

Has anyone here successfully gotten DslrDashboard to work with a Canon 5D3 through a TP-Link wireless router?

Thank you!
#2 richparry
I have both a Canon 5DM2 and 5DM3 and both work with TP-Link. However, I have not had an opportunity to make a time-lapse using TP-Link yet. All I am saying at this point is that I can connect and control both cameras.

I encourage you to read my original post below. Since that time, I discovered the commands that kill the 5DM2 are trying to set the format to JPEG Small or JPEG Standard. I don't know if these will kill the 5DM3 and I am not about to find out. I always shoot RAW so it doesn't matter, just be careful.

http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-warn...ight=Brick
Canon user: 5DM3, 5DM2, Rhino Slider (24" & 42"), Emotimo TB3. Use Adobe ACR and AE.
#3 echeng
Thanks, Rich. I found your post, earlier. I always shoot raw, too.

Today, when I use using the program to shoot a sunset-to-night timelapse, I was able to download next JPG a couple of times, but often, the checkbox would be checked for many frames without a successful download. It worked perhaps three times out of a hundred frames. Each time it stopped working, it would never work again until after I unplugged my Nexus 7 (which would Stop the DslrDashboard app) and plug it back in (which would re-launch it). But even after doing that, success % was low.
#4 tom@tomrossiter.com
(2014-01-02, 13:15)echeng Wrote: Thanks, Rich. I found your post, earlier. I always shoot raw, too.

Today, when I use using the program to shoot a sunset-to-night timelapse, I was able to download next JPG a couple of times, but often, the checkbox would be checked for many frames without a successful download. It worked perhaps three times out of a hundred frames. Each time it stopped working, it would never work again until after I unplugged my Nexus 7 (which would Stop the DslrDashboard app) and plug it back in (which would re-launch it). But even after doing that, success % was low.

I am having the same experience with my 5DMIII. JPEGs will download once or twice then quit. I was just in Costa Rica and New Mexico out to shoot many Holy Grail scenes and gave up w Nexus 7. I was using it as a wired solution just to eliminate the variable of the wireless which I have gotten to connect but it has been hit or miss too.

I would like to hear from someone using a 5DMIII that is having success with DslrDashboard working as it is supposed to.

Happy shooting
Tom
#5 joelemail

I am having the same issue. I can connect, albeit buggy, with a hardwire, but trying wireless is painful. Attaching a pic of the tablet screen showing where it all ends.

So the tablet is seeing the Link, but the app itself will go no further.

(2014-01-14, 04:36)tom@tomrossiter.com Wrote:
(2014-01-02, 13:15)echeng Wrote: Thanks, Rich. I found your post, earlier. I always shoot raw, too.

I am having the same experience with my 5DMIII. JPEGs will download once or twice then quit. I was just in Costa Rica and New Mexico out to shoot many Holy Grail scenes and gave up w Nexus 7. I was using it as a wired solution just to eliminate the variable of the wireless which I have gotten to connect but it has been hit or miss too.

I would like to hear from someone using a 5DMIII that is having success with DslrDashboard working as it is supposed to.

Happy shooting
Tom
#6 saw0
Quote: Attaching a pic of the tablet screen showing where it all ends.

You have the camera connected to the Tablet? And then you start the WRT Server?

I am asking because on your Screen there is a camera connected and the "no camera found" box at the same time Smile

Are you sure the WRT Server is running under the IP adress you specify in DSLRD ?

Are you sure the Tablet is properly connected to the WLAN of the 3040? Can you confirm there is no authentification loop?

Did you change anything to the default configuration of the OpenWRT image?

If you really are struggling to get it running, check out my video Tutorial. If you follow along you should have it running without flaws. You can skip the installation part though, and just follow along the configuration.

http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-vide...3040--3752

Greets

saw0

...also check out: