• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Unusual Flickering After Using LRTimelapse

#1 DSimagesTL
I'm working with a timelapse I shot overnight on a slider featuring a tree and stars behind it.
The timelapse is all shot at 30 second shutter, f2.8 and 4000 ISO -
When previewing the photos BEFORE editing there is zero flicker photo to photo. Although, after running through the workflow, editing my keyframes ultimately reaching visual previews, the "Visual Luminance" is all over the place with it's levels.

Seeing as I'm coming from a set of photos that had no flicker beforehand, why would I be acquiring flicker once going through the workflow?

Thanks in advance,
Drew
#2 Gunther
That might be contrast flicker introduced by Lightroom due to heavy editing. We already discussed this Lightroom annoyance her many times, just search for "Contrast flicker". Here is also a faq: https://lrtimelapse.com/news/use-the-new...me-lapses/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 DSimagesTL
Gunther,

Thanks for this answer and my other recent questions that you've helped with.
Still working on getting my "contrast-y" timelapses flicker-free, but it seems like you have to totally omit the use of dehaze, clarity, whites, blacks and a tiny use of contrast...

I saw your comment on another thread to utilize curves instead, that's what I have been doing - does this method "never" introduce flicker?

Thanks,
Drew
#4 Gunther
For "normal" and well shot timelapses, usually there are no issues in using the basic controls in Lightroom to a certain extent.
The more quick dynamic changes between images you have and the more you bring your sensor to the edge when shooting, the more you'll notice Lightroom introducing contrast flicker with the non linear tools.

That's why normally I user the regular tools when editing - only if I notice, that I'm getting problems, I dial them down and use the tonecurve instead. For some situations, like night shots with car lights popping up in some frames, I already know that I'll get problems with the basic tools and go directly for the tonecurve for contrast editing - but mostly such sequences are trash anyway...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 c_joerg
Quote:but it seems like you have to totally omit the use of dehaze, clarity, whites, blacks and a tiny use of contrast...

With my cameras, where I can change the exposure in 1/96 EV steps (EOS M3, G1x), I do not have this problem. With my 6D, yes.
You can already see that the flicker correlates with the 1/3 EV jumps. With constant exposure in M, I don't see the problem that way either.

...also check out: