• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What is this flare from?

#1 Tonybyte
Hi,
I uploaded this unlisted video to show my problem. I'm a newb but read this lens was supposed to be very good at avoiding flare plus the sun was shining on my my back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a8YCmSy...e=youtu.be

There is a green horizontal flare 1/3 from the bottom in addition to the obvious pink line and the pink blotches that are on each side at around :25. It looks exactly the same with the Tokina lens.

bright sunny day, late afternoon
D7100
85mm 1.4D Lens
B+W ND1000 -10 Stop,
Lens Hood
1.6" f11 with photo every 3 seconds
adjusted the ISO until proper exposure, not sure what it was
sun was shining on my back.

So... why the flare? Sad It also happened (less surprisingly to me) with Tokina 12-24 when the sun was to my left and directly at the sunset when the sun was behind a building and I was closely behind a merry go round. I could see the sky above the merry go round and the same horizontal flare but no direct sunlight.

So if i had a hood and the sun at my back, how do i avoid this? Surely I can take photos with this lens in full daylight with the sun to my back. Is it the settings due to the ND filter?
#2 Gunther
I assume, you didn't cover your viewfinder. If the sun is right behind the camera it might shine through the viewfinder and leak on the sensor.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Tonybyte
Correct. Big Grin

ok, well that's good news! Easy fix Smile Thank you.
#4 Tonybyte
Although it did happen with the exact same look with the Tokina lens pointed towards the sunset. Still the viewfinder? Either way, the viewfinder should be covered and I will try again.

...also check out: