• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

where in workflow to apply custom white balance (shooting grey card)

#1 chasg
Hi All,

I usually shoot a grey card before any work (well, I shoot a Spydercube plus Spydercheckr, but calling them a "grey card" will do for now). When working with just stills, the workflow is well established, but when working with LRT, I'm not quite sure what to do.

I can see two options, not sure which I should do:

1) Do I shoot the grey card, import all the shots into Lightroom, apply that neutral white balance to the full sequence, move that grey card shot from the folder (not from the catalog, but the actual folder), and then open the sequence in LRT? Will initialising in LRT then keep the custom white balance value in the xmp files, or will it reset it?

2) Or should I work this way: import the sequence into LRT (including the grey card reference shot), initialise, run whatever work flow is relevant, take it to Lightroom, use the graycard shot to set a custom white balance, and then use Lightroom to move the grey card reference shot to another folder? Will that then screw up LRT when I go back to it (does it expect the same number of shots in the folder, or will it deal gracefully with the fact that there is one less photo in the folder?).

I know that I can eyeball the white balance to taste, but sometimes I've got to keep it perfectly accurate (eg. when dealing with logos on buildings in urban shoots).

Couldn't find an answer to this with a specific search, I really hope it's not a FAQ!

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Chas
#2 Gunther
Option two sounds just fine! Just do it that way!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 chasg
Thanks for the reply, Gunther, it'll reduce much experimentation :-)

...also check out: