• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Working on time lapse sequences on network drives

#1 Gunther
Q: When I try to access my time lapse sequences on network folders in LRT the program "hangs" for a long time before eventually displaying the data. I do not have this problem in Windows Explorer or LR. And I do not have a problem in LRT with local folders.

A: sometimes I work on my network drives too, but of course it's not as performant as when you work locally.
Depending on how many subfolders you have, that might take a while. But especially, if you have dozens or even hundreds of subfolders in one main folder, it could get rather slow. LRTimelapse counts the number of photos in background to display that in formation in the tree and that's something that takes longer compared to browsing with the explorer.
Lightroom has a database where it stores such information.

To improve the performance, make sure to reduce the number of subfolders. It's always better to have
[font=Courier New]- Time lapse[/font]
[font=Courier New]  - 2016[/font]
[font=Courier New]     - Project 1[/font]
[font=Courier New]         - Time lapse 1[/font]
[font=Courier New]         - Time lapse 2[/font]

than everything in a shallow structure, where hundreds of folders are directly under "Time lapse".

But independently from this, I'd advise to have the time lapses that you are working on in a Timelapse_Work folder on a local drive or better SSD. This will considerably speed up the whole editing, exporting and rendering. Once you are finished editing those sequences, you can move those folders to the network drive then.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: