• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Power supply with quick QC Powerbank

#11 Sheeba
Hello Jörg,

Thanks for your feedback. I took a closer look at the QC technique and found your idea of using a QC tester very good. I ordered 2 of the variants with the slide switch and then optimized them for daily use. First, I removed the output USB socket and soldered a DC cable directly into the PCB. For the 8.3V variant I connected a diode in series. In order to simply fix the PCB in a small housing, I constructed a holder (3D). So that the LED on the tester is visible from the outside, I used a piece of optical fiber. Attached are a few pictures of my construction.

Regards,
Hans
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#12 c_joerg
Hello Hans,
the housing looks great ...
What do you use the 12V for?
Joerg
#13 Sheeba
… Thanks. I use the 12V version for my slider !!
Let me know if you are interested (only for the version with the slide switch)
Hans
#14 c_joerg
I read the time through the QCCP adapter and wondered why I don't have the problem that my Powerbank turns off.
https://gwegner.de/know-how/qc-powerbank...p-adapter/

1) I almost only have mirrorless cameras. They always draw a little current. Therefore, the problem does not arise with mirrorless cameras.
2) Magic Lantern Timer is running on my Canon 6D. This camera also draws some current and my Powerbank does not switch off.
#15 Gunther
It always depends on the setup and of course from the intervals you are shooting with.
I cannot generally subscribe to the point that powerbanks don't shut of with mirrorless cameras. They go to standby also,so this is not a general rule of thumb. But of course it depends on how standby times are configured etc.

You can try doing a timelapse with an interval of 3 minutes and then see if your powerbank shuts off inbetween. It's all about knowing your individual setup!

Sent mobile...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#16 Sheeba
Hallo Jörg,

ich gehe davon aus, daß du einen USB-Tester verwendest wie in deinem Thread beschreiben. Welche Powerbank verwendest du? Besteht die Möglichkeit, daß Magic Lantern verhindert, daß die Kamera nicht in den selben Standby Mode geht, wie mit der originalen Firmware? Schaltet die Power Bank auch dann nicht aus, wenn du nur den USB-Tester anschließt?
Gruß,
Hans
#17 c_joerg
Quote:I cannot generally subscribe to the point that powerbanks don't shut of with mirrorless cameras. They go to standby also,so this is not a general rule of thumb. But of course it depends on how standby times are configured etc.
I’m looking in my manuals. All my cams (6D, EOS M3…) have the possibility to switch of the standby function. Default setting for standby is 1min.

Quote:You can try doing a timelapse with an interval of 3 minutes and then see if your powerbank shuts off inbetween.

I never used 3 minute interval with my powerbank...
But from EOS M3 with CHDK on it, I know that as long as a lua script is running on the camera, it won't go out. Even if Standby is set to 1 minute. I think the same thing happens with ML.

However, there is a serious disadvantage if I switch off the standby time on my mirrorless cameras. The sensor is read out constantly and consumes a lot of power (and also gets very hot). I don't know how it is with other mirrorless cameras. With my M3, I prevent this by switching to playback mode at long intervals (with display off).

I’m using a cheap Lidl Powerbank Silver Crest SPBL 10000 C3. If I only connect the quick charge USB tester, the powerbank goes off after a while.
#18 Gunther
There are quite a lot of ways and scenarios. With the qccp we tried to design a solution that works with most setups without a lot of thinking and configuring.
But of course, if your setup works without, be happy and go for it!

Sent mobile...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#19 c_joerg
I would like to point out a danger when using power banks.

Usually a camera shuts down cleanly when it notices that the battery voltage is too low.

It's different with a power bank. If it is empty, then it switched off immediately. The camera then has no way of shutting down properly. The probability is very high that this will happen during a recording because this is where the current consumption is greatest.

This has happened to me before with my 6D. Then she displayed an error message. Fortunately, I was able to fix the error with a reset. There have been reports that SD card data can be damaged in the process. In the CHDK forum someone lost a complete directory with data.

You should therefore always pay attention to the battery level of the power bank. Alternatively, as with the Case Relay, you could hang a small battery (or capacity) at the input of the camera so that the voltage slowly drops and the camera can shut down cleanly.
#20 mortiz
I Used this with one prototype slider and work fine. Stepper motor work with 12V. The battery have more power and use with my i9 MSI Notebook.

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B077TR3H2R/ref=...UTF8&psc=1

To my camera use one fictícies battery plug to bank.

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B089CPCPDK/ref=...EY9FADZZZ7

...also check out: