• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Music for time lapse but with a caveat

#1 Julian Elliott
Hi there

I have a dilemma in that I need to find some music for a time lapse sequence that I want to create.

Having browsed around I've become aware of things like Creative Commons but I'm getting stuck on whether or not I can use the music for what I want.

What's the problem? Well, I'm hoping that some images I have done and the sequence will appear in a national paper in the UK. As I am making money from the stills this then seems to knacker any free use of music for the sequence.

The sequences are for sale individually on Getty Images and one composer I contacted said this then forgoed the use of the music in a CC context and therefore a license must be bought.

Any thoughts on where I can get some good music without having to resort to payout out for a license?

Thanks!
#2 Gunther
Any music under CC-BY license should by fine as long as you credit the author.
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Julian Elliott
I thought so too but when I contacted the creator of the music they said that because commercial gain and promotion of my work was involved then a license is required.

Stumped as I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to do something and then find myself the subject of legal action.

Edit: OK, this is how my intentions are.

Hopefully, I will be getting another done like this: British Autumn 2014

To accompany the proposed article I want to put together a time lapse sequence and use music.

I would be paid for the images but I'm not being paid for the time lapse as the sequence is just an accompagnment to the images.

The individual sequences are/ will be for sale on Getty but without music.

The proposed article does promote my work but it doesn't indicate where my work is sold and how to buy it.

I'm with you Gunther but as I said I don't want to put myself in a position where I get hammered.

...also check out: