• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Deflicker Issues

#1 Guy Richardson
Hi, 

I'm having issues with the visual deflicker since the latest update (4.4) When I apply the deflicker instead of removing the peaks and troughs in the graph it seems to aggravate them instead causing more flicker. I have downloaded and installed the latest DNG converter (9.2) but to no avail. Any suggestions? 

Thanks, 

Guy
#2 Gunther
I didn't change anything about how Visual Deflicker works in the upgrade to 4.4.
I assume, it has something to do with your sequence, the way you set the reference area (did you?) or a too strong editing.
I recommend getting and reading my ebook to learn how deflicker works - sometimes it's a bit more then just hitting the button and waiting for the magic to happen :-)
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Guy Richardson
Hi Gunther,

My adjustments through the sequence was fine, the reference area is placed over a slow changing sky without many clouds and the editing is fairly normal (i've edited heavier in the past) I've tried to just refine the particular area where it's at its worst but it doesn't help atall.

You can see where the jump is taking place in the middle of the sequence of the image I've attached. 

Thanks, Guy
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#4 Guy Richardson
I have discovered there seems to be an issue with radial and gradient filters. I removed a radial filter from the sequence I was having before hand and it resolved the deflicker issue. I have also found that when applying more than one gradient it also produces bizzare results on the sequence generally. Sometime the filters will flip half way through a sequence or will produce strange effects like shadow flickering. Have you come across this issue?

Thanks,

Guy
#5 Gunther
Hi Guy, you shall not add own filters or remove the predefined filters that LRTimelapse created.
If you deleted one filter, you will have to start over the whole process. It's absolutely important that the predefined filters (4 linear, 2 circular) are used and not removed or new filters are being added, otherwise you'll get all kind of undesired results.
I'd suggest to start over by initializing the sequence (metadata -> initialize)
#6 Guy Richardson
I only used the predefined filters that were already in place. I did not add or remove any of those existing filters either. This is what is so confusing.
#7 Gunther
I've never experienced flicker introduced by the gradients specifically, but of course depending on the tools that you are using, Lightroom might introduce flicker as I already pointed out a couple of times, for example see:
http://lrtimelapse.com/news/use-the-new-...me-lapses/
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-what...htroom-acr
#8 stefgodin
Yes, I have the same problem !
I just upgraded to LRT4.4 and Mac OS X el capitan

Now when I want to smooth a sequence with defliker, each passage with very soft deflikering increase defilker !

I seems to appears on sequence with gradients.
When I apply defliker, pink curve never follow the green one. I don't understand why result is getting worth...
#9 Gunther
Try editing less and setting a good reference area for deflickering.
#10 stefgodin
Yes, I find the solution.

Less editing in Lightroom, deflikering in LRT, then I apply same gradient or correction to all files in Lightroom on deflikered files, then exporting files from Lightroom.

But Deflicker is strange. Sometimes many passages don't decrease defliker but increase. It depends on edition parameters...

...also check out: