• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

15-month Timelapse--Update and question.

#1 matt314159
Hello everyone! I posted about a year ago about a construction time-lapse I was working on, and now I have a specific question.

Let me give you my set-up first.

• I have a Canon Powershot G10 shooting tethered to GBTimelapse software.
• The camera is mounted in a west-facing window in a building adjacent to the construction site.
• The camera is held in place with this mount held tightly to the metal window ledge.
• GBTimelapse is set to record 1 shot every three minutes from an hour before sunrise, until an hour after sunset. This is done because we are rendering out weekly update videos to post on our website, and the transition between night and day looks good. the videos are about a 1:00 to 1:25 per week depending on the season.
• I then have a custom-written file selector tool that will allow me to copy every n'th photo over into a different folder and set the time-frame from which to pull the files (for example, take every 10th file that was shot between 1PM and 5PM)...this is used for the renders covering much longer time spans.

I have noticed a trend in the videos, however, that during the warmer months, during the afternoon (when the sun begins shining into the window) the camera seems to slowly raise. I think the boom arm may be somehow growing a bit due to thermal expansion. In the weekly videos it's a really slow, gradual thing that isn't very noticeable, but when sped up for the roll-up videos, it's noticeable and a pain.

My workflow for this project actually does not involve LRTimelapse, I simply make changes in LR, sync to all photos, and then render out with 30fps 1080p mp4 plugin.

This is what the project looks like 12 months in (actually I have only been shooting for 11 months, the construction had begun one month prior to when I set up the equipment). For this test, I had it take every 10th photo taken between the hours of 2PM and 5PM. I found that using the whole day left far too much shadow distractions (during the morning hours, the three-story building in which the camera is mounted, casts a looming shadow over the whole construction site). This allowed the lighting and shadows to be relatively similar throughout the video.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjaustin/8772765562/

I'm looking to remove the shake, using the best possible workflow to retain the best quality. I can run deshaker in virtualdub over the rendered video, but I don't like processing from one lossy file format to another, as the quality degrades with each generation.

Is there anything that exists which would allow for the adjustments to be made before the first video rendering? Or are there slideshow plugins which would let one render in a lossless format?

This got very long, and I apologize for that. I hope my question is clear enough. Thank you very much!
#2 matt314159
(I'm scared to edit the original post lest the spam filter see my links and re-ban me, so I apologize for the double-post)

I should also note some fun stats about the project so far:

The G-10 has thusfar shot 67,802 photos as of May 17. This totals 123GB.

I am very thankful for the customizable file selector tool my colleague wrote for me, because the video is already over 37 minutes long if I were to render them all out at 30fps!

I think the final video should be between 1 and 1.5 minutes long.
#3 Gunther
You could use After Effects on the raw sequences to remove shaking (Warp Stabilizer) - After Effects also allows for lossless output - check the workflow section on this page!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: