• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

16 mpx 3/4 Crop Sensor vs Full Frame. Difference in post time?

#1 Kensmith247
Hi all,

I've previously doing all my post on my laptop which pretty fast with for a laptop 2 SSD's but it was a stretch. I have just completed an upgrade to second hand gaming computer and installed 3 SSD's and 32 GB ram.

It is incredibly fast in comparison to my laptop, less than 1/5th of the time taken to process RAW files.

I have previously been shooting all my time lapse on my old Nikon D5100 16mpx 3/4 CMOS sensor. Its done ok though struggles with low light and astro lapse. I am thinking of upgrading my camera to the full frame Sony a7rii.

My question is, considering how large the images are coming from the Sony in comparison to the files from the Nikon , how much will this effect my processing time through LRT and Lightroom.

Thanks in advance.

Ken Smith
#2 Gunther
Hi Ken,
yes of course the workflow will be significantly slower if you work with 42MP Raw files. I don't recommend such high resolutions cameras for time lapse work, unless you really need to create 8K footage.
24 MP is a very good sensor size that will not only be more performant but also deliver more dynamic range and ISO performance. I'd therefore recommend a Nikon D750 or, if you really want to use Sony, an A7-II (not R). Sony has some disadvantages for Timelapse, especially the high power consumption and some usability problems.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 jonahsenften
I recently bought the a7r ii as a replacement for my canon 6d. However i will probably keep the 6d. For me living far north, aurora timelapse and nightlapse over all is important. There for i chose the a7r ii mainly because of it's ISO performance in low light. Regarding power supply which was a big concern for me shooting in cold temps in winter. I figure i'll solve that with external power since it's possible to charge the battery while the camera is in use. The high resolution gives me a little more flexibility in post for movement and transitions, imho. BUT yes, the process time of each raw file will increase significantly. Smile
#4 Kensmith247
OK great thanks guys for for your reply's. Very helpful information. I might give my camera selection a bit more thought and research. Thanks again.

...also check out: