• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1st attempt at a holy grail sunset with bulb ramping

Video
#1 Photosbykev
Taken with a Canon 5D3 and Canon 24-70 f/2.8 USM II lens at 35mm using a Lee Big stopper to drop the daytime exposure into a usable bulb range. I am having a problem using the Match Total Exposures function in LR5 to match the exposure with the 10ND on and then with the corrected exposure without the filter. The difference in exposure is less than 1 stop but the Matching function just increases the exposure of the 2nd frame by at least 5 stops and blows everything out making it unusable at the moment.

As the sun sets Venus comes into the frame which I blew out to show the reflected beam of light from the planet on the sea.

[Video: https://youtu.be/b9T9-sHaArk]

best regards
Kev
#2 Photosbykev
Now I've seen Gwegner's comments on ND filters i.e.

Removing the filters while shooting is difficult without shaking the camera and/or losing frames. Even one lost frame WILL be visible in the final result!
Matching the color of the image with filter with the adjacent image without filter exactly is mostly impossible. You will always see the transition in my experience.
The same goes for the vignetting introduced with most filters.
Adding and removing filters will not be reflected in the metadata of the images, so Auto Holy Grail and Match Total Exposures will NOT work. To make the adjustments you would then have to create the 2* and 3* keyframes besides the ND-Change manually and match the exposure manually in Lightroom before applying "auto transition special 2*/3*" to properly connect the exposure curve.

I did manually correct between the two exposures with and without the Lee filter and that included a significant blue colour cast from the Lee Big Stopper (I've ordered a Singh-ray which is truly neutral to replace the Lee for normal photography). The vignetting can be corrected using the Lens correction function and increasing the vignetting control to 200%

ah well at least I've now bought LRT3 and the eBook, I live and learn lol

Kev
First attempt
TGPhoto
2022-02-24, 04:05
Last Post: TGPhoto

...also check out: