• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best way to deal with Aperture Priority + auto ISO sequences

#1 shupp
First, I know this is not a good way to capture a timelapse.. But I'm stuck with a few sequences that were shot this way, and I'm wondering what might be the best way to handle it in LRTimelapse.

In aperture priority with auto iso, there are two main issue to content with:

1) Because an proper ramping tool wasn't used, there can be "stutters" before a new shutter or ISO is settled on.
2) In a few frames, the shutter and ISO change at the same time, so there aren't clear HG boundaries.

For problem 1, I can manually change exposure for stuttering frames outside the "holy grail" frames.  For problem two, the good news is that shutter speed only changed a little (ISO changes seem to take priority), and are within 1 stop.  So I could just manually adjust for all shutter speeds to a single exposure setting, and then focus the HG boundaries on ISO changes (after stuttering frames are accounted for).

I did just this for one sequence, and ended up normalizing the shutter speeds, adjusting for "stutter" frames in ISO, and marked HG boundaries with four stars (as well as start and stop frames), to manually animate exposure ramping later. I then exported as JPEG to flatten exposure settings, but found that you can't do visual deflicker with JPEG, so re-exported the JPEGs to DNG and worked from there.  I wasn't able to fully get rid of flicker, and did some more with GBD in After Effects.  The good parts of the sequence turned out fine (though some other parts still had flicker).

So, this process was pretty laborious.. is there a better way to deal with this?

Thanks!

Bill
#2 Gunther
I'd just use visual deflicker. Do a couple of steps with refine.

sent mobile via tapatalk...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: