• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1 inmyprime
I just bought the private version of LRTimelapse and have trouble importing 4k timelapse footage into FCPX to edit it (after rendering it in LRTimelapse).
It works up to 3k resolution but with 4k, I get a red bar over the timeline and the video doesn't play. Any idea why? Something in the settings? Is it because I need to render in ProRes?  Or something else?
My FCPX version is 10.2.1 and my iMac does normally play and edit 4k videos.
Thanks for help in advance.
#2 Gunther
Are you talking about MP4? If so, make sure that you have no compatibility warning in the export dialog. Mostly it helps to check "Force 16:9". Then try again. Make sure to use the latest FCP.
ProRes format of course doesn't have those limits that MP4 has for high resolutions.
You could try to render in "Standard Gamut" too, that might be another option to try.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 inmyprime
Ok thanks. Very strange: the only option I changed now was "force 16:9" and this did the trick. (FCPX now recognises it). I already had it on Standard Gamut and I never had a warning dialogue. However it cropped too much off the bottom. Is there any way I can control the crop? (just have the top part cropped). Or do I need to re-export all the Jpegs again in a different format?
#4 Gunther
Yes, to control the crop you'd have to change it in Lightroom. Sync it to the whole sequence and reexport.

sent mobile via tapatalk...
#5 Moon/2
(2017-03-24, 22:12)gwegner Wrote: Yes, to control the crop you'd have to change it in Lightroom. Sync it to the whole sequence and reexport.

I see many people just import the picture files directly into FCPX with a duration of 1 or 2 frames, then create whatever crop they need with whatever titles, audio excetera, that's needed.  And, letting FCPX do the rendering?    Do you wind up in the same spot.

What are the pro's and con's for importing the exported stills into FCPX and rendering w/FCPX vs. letting LRTimeplapse do the rendering?  One advantage I can see is FCPX would let you change the speed for various sections or freeze frames.
#6 Moon/2
(2017-05-16, 02:20)Moon/2 Wrote:
(2017-03-24, 22:12)gwegner Wrote: Yes, to control the crop you'd have to change it in Lightroom. Sync it to the whole sequence and reexport.

I see many people just import the picture files directly into FCPX with a duration of 1 or 2 frames, then create whatever crop they need with whatever titles, audio excetera, that's needed.  And, letting FCPX do the rendering?    Do you wind up in the same spot.

What are the pro's and con's for importing the exported stills into FCPX and rendering w/FCPX vs. letting LRTimeplapse do the rendering?  One advantage I can see is FCPX would let you change the speed for various sections or freeze frames.

PS: This is my 1st day in at the forum so excuse any ignorance on rendering.   What I lack in talent, I make up for in enthusiasm ;Wink

I have one more question as I'm exporting my 1st batch from LR.  It's 2300 JPGs, and LR is INCREDIBLY SLOW!   I have an 8 core Mac Pro w/dual D500's...  HOW COULD THIS BE? ?    I know export speed is a big complaint w/LR... any hints or insights?
#7 Gunther
(2017-05-16, 02:20)Moon/2 Wrote: I see many people just import the picture files directly into FCPX with a duration of 1 or 2 frames, then create whatever crop they need with whatever titles, audio excetera, that's needed.  And, letting FCPX do the rendering?    Do you wind up in the same spot.

If you make a video project from still sequences (you could use the intermediary sequences that LRTExport exports) this will of course work with most of the video editors, but usually it will show a bad performance when editing.

Rendering to ProRes from LRTimelapse and using those for further editing in the video editor usually is the way to go. You can still apply crop animations, speed changes etc. then.
#8 Gunther
[quote pid='33178' dateline='1494890781']
I have one more question as I'm exporting my 1st batch from LR.  It's 2300 JPGs, and LR is INCREDIBLY SLOW!   I have an 8 core Mac Pro w/dual D500's...  HOW COULD THIS BE? ?    I know export speed is a big complaint w/LR... any hints or insights?
[/quote]

Unfortunately Lightroom is not really fast when exporting. Especially if you applied lots of edits like noise reduction etc. it will get slower of course.
Mostly 2300 frames (over on minute video) it too long for a sequence anyway for someone to watch in a final movie. Normally you'd work with sequences no longer then 10-15 seconse.

So if you don't really need the whole sequence, consider spliting it or removing unwanted parts.
If you need the whole sequence, just leave it working though the night.

...also check out: