• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1 Bobu
If you plan to sell a timelapse film (topic travel/landscape) either directly from a website or via stock agencies like Getty is there a significant advantage on the market (timeframe next 5-7 years) if you shoot and offer it in 8K instead of 4K?

Advantages I see:
Affordable 8K TVs and monitors will probably get available within the next 5 years and since not much media is shot in 8K right now there could be a real demand.
Your media is more futureproof and could theoretically be used in 10+ years without any serious limitations (nobody is interessted in SD footage any more and I'm pretty sure the same will happen in 5+ years with FHD).

Disadvantages I see:
The combination of 8K TL with non-TL footage is nearly impossible (unless you spend big money on a 8K camera or accept a mix of high quality and low quality footage). This could be a serious limitation. African Skies and Timescapes are a good examples that the right mix of TL and non-TL can really improve the overall impression of a film.
In adition the post processing of 8K footage with current computers is not really fun and in most cases only possible if you work with proxy media.
And of course storage of all the images and footage is much more difficult and costly at 8K compared to 4K.

What does everybody think about this topic?

...also check out: