• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

550.000 shots with - not utilizing computing power?

#1 Morgennebel
[Newbie Alert]

Dear,

I am trying to create some time-lapse videos from a construction site.

I have 7 Mio. pictures in total from 5 cameras, each 5 MP in size in JPEG.
The rendering system is a DELL Precision T5600 with 2 CPU sockets, each 4 Cores with enabled Hyper-Threading running Windows 7 64 bit with 32 GB RAM. Windows Task Manager reports 24 available cores.

However LRTimeplase2 cannot utilize the system. Only one CPU is working > 80%, another around 50% all others are idle. 5 GB RAM are used. Disk utilization is less than 4%.

I understand I may not be able to utilize all CPUs shown, but how can I increase performance by providing more memory, disk IOs and CPU cores? Looking at the reports I have a hard time to understand why the system is slow...

Thanks, -MN
#2 Gunther
LRTimelapse is not designed to process half a million photos in one folder. You should definitely split those sequences down.
I assume you won't want to create a film of 5 hrs length - that's what your photos would produce.

Regarding memory: you can provide LRTimelapse more memory.
In the Windows Start-Menu/LRTimelapse you will find a "largemem" Launcher try that.
If that's not sufficient, you can use the CMD-file (in the program direcotry) to launch in that file you can configure the maximum amount of memory used.

However Java will be not use of more processors, performance depends more from the disk speed than from processor power.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Morgennebel
Hi,

(2013-03-14, 17:46)gwegner Wrote: LRTimelapse is not designed to process half a million photos in one folder. You should definitely split those sequences down.

I can split the incoming directories and append the resulting movies together without any issues - yes. But what would be the best balance between directory size and work to append the results? Is it 25k, 50k, 100k pictures per directory? Or less?

(2013-03-14, 17:46)gwegner Wrote: I assume you won't want to create a film of 5 hrs length - that's what your photos would produce.

I want very smooth, de-flickered, high-quality timelapse. The more pictures I have available the smoother the result should be, or am I wrong?

(2013-03-14, 17:46)gwegner Wrote: Regarding memory: you can provide LRTimelapse more memory.
In the Windows Start-Menu/LRTimelapse you will find a "largemem" Launcher try that.
If that's not sufficient, you can use the CMD-file (in the program direcotry) to launch in that file you can configure the maximum amount of memory used.

I am using the largemem setup, but it is only using 25-33% of the available memory.
Will check the settings today and see what I can change

(2013-03-14, 17:46)gwegner Wrote: However Java will be not use of more processors, performance depends more from the disk speed than from processor power.

But why is the disk idle as well? According to Resource Monitor the image disk is running with around 2-5 MB/sec - which is quite slow for a SATA-III 7k200 high-performance disk. Speed drops sometimes down to 0 MB/sec. Disk Queue Length is 0.05 to 0.1.

Am I right that lrtimelapse2 forks a subprocess for exiftool for each picture to be added? In this case the memory and process management component from Windows may be the limitation.

I tried to install the program on a Mac as well to investigate into this question.

Thanks, -MN
#4 Gunther
(2013-03-14, 18:46)Morgennebel Wrote: I can split the incoming directories and append the resulting movies together without any issues - yes. But what would be the best balance between directory size and work to append the results? Is it 25k, 50k, 100k pictures per directory? Or less?
Normally LRTimelapse is designed for use with 10.000 images max and that's what I officially support. It might work with more but it's not tested because it doesn't make sense in my opinion to work with such large sequences.

Quote:I want very smooth, de-flickered, high-quality timelapse. The more pictures I have available the smoother the result should be, or am I wrong?
No. Important for those types of time lapses is to be able to select those images that would give you the best results. The commercial version of LRTimelapse offers features for that. But anyway, those amounts of images you are trying to process will take ages. The companies I know and consult doning construction time lapses shoot way less and get good results.

You can only play back with 30fps - so if you Render 900 images into 1 second with 30fps the renderer will use only every 30th image. So you can as well only shoot every 30th image and will get the same result. What I want to say, it makes more sense to reduce before processing, it will save a lot time and processing power.

Quote:I am using the largemem setup, but it is only using 25-33% of the available memory.
Will check the settings today and see what I can change
Check the memory indicator in LRTimelapse on the top right to see how much memory LRT uses and has provided. Here is an article about how LRT and java deal with memory.
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-how-...ith-memory

Quote:Am I right that lrtimelapse2 forks a subprocess for exiftool for each picture to be added? In this case the memory and process management component from Windows may be the limitation.

I tried to install the program on a Mac as well to investigate into this question.
Normally the performance on windows is better.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: