• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Final time lapse not sharp when using slider

#1 bob001
I'm trying to add motion to my time lapses using a slider and/or mini-Genie, and the finished product is not quite sharp.  The first few seconds when there is no motion are sharp, and as soon as the move begins, the image looses it's crispness.  At the end when the movement stops, the last few moments are sharp again.  My non-movement time lapses are sharp all the way through.  

I can see in the LR Timelapse preview window that the blue line is jagged, and smoothing and deflickering do not seem to have much of an effect.

I have tried changing shutter speeds, from 1/40 to 1/1000, changing f-stops, shooting raw and shooting jpeg and I've been doing the final render in 4K, MP4.  Nothing seems to help. 

I'm hoping this is  a workflow problem on my end and would be grateful for any advise or suggestions.
#2 richparry
Could it be that the camera is moving when the shutter is open? Could it be your slider does not support SMS (Shoot, Move, Shoot)? The slier needs to control the camera.

Hope this helps,
Rich
Canon user: 5DM3, 5DM2, Rhino Slider (24" & 42"), Emotimo TB3. Use Adobe ACR and AE.
#3 bob001
Hi Rich - I was wondering the same thing, but the mini-Genie that I use has the SMS option. Plus, the individual frames when viewed in Photoshop are completely sharp. Seems to be a processing problem.

Thanks,
Bob
#4 Gunther
For sequences with motion like that you should make sure that you turn off "Motion Blur Plus" in the LRTimelapse render dialog, otherwise the movement will get blurry. MBP ist best suited for static sequences or rather slow movements.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 rodrigo
Hi bob001

I have a Genie-mini and last Saturday I took a timelapse from a playing field in a Liverpool Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uAcUoiu...tion=share

It was a bit windy but the wind movement is barely noticeable, I mounted my mini in a tripod with a Velvon broad base quick release plate, as I did try a small ball head but the weight of the camera+lens made it to unstable, as Gunther said you must deselect the "Motion Blur Plus" as this does not work well with a moving pano; also I used the S-M-S setting and increased the stop to a 1000 millisencond. all the details are at the end of the timelapse. Any comment are welcome.

regards,

Rodrigo
#6 bob001
Hi -

Thanks to all for the good advise.  As Gunther mentioned, turning off the Motion setting during render was what I needed to do.

Bests,

Bob
#7 crdeantonio
So glad I found this thread because I was suffering from the same "soft" results when incorporating motion into my sequences (Rhino EVO motion slide, Arc).  Turning OFF motion blur fixed it (and in retrospect, makes sense... duh Smile
#8 MattT
Doh! haha. Nice to see you here Chris.
#9 crdeantonio
Ha! Likewise! The time lapse world is small indeed, MT.
#10 MattT
haha sure is mate!

...also check out: