• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AE not reading all the XMP data

#1 DLee
A little off topic from LRT, but I just ran into a problem in post.

I was having difficulty with a sunset sequence running smoothly with the LRT export - the problem was that folders changed at a critical point and QT can't seem to get the second clip up to speed accurately in playback for the sunset to be smooth or even close to it.

I exported the two folders together from LR and converted them to DNG at the same time. Now the sunset is contained in one folder. I imported the sequence into a new LR library and then had LRT convert the entire folder to JPGs for export and rendering. Oddly, LRT exports the entire sequence of JPGs but will only render up to the point where the original first folder ended... but that's a different issue... I'll re-initialize in LRT with the new folder and see if that makes a difference.

My real problem is that when AE imported the complete sequence of DNG files, many sections rendered without reading the associated XMP data, so there are huge jumps in quality. It's not individual frames but fairly large sections.

I originally saw the problem in the QT movie as it takes to long to render the preview in AE. I scrolled through the exported video and found a change between frames, went to AE and found the same jump there. Indicating the error is from AE reading the files from the folder. When I go to LR and check the DNGs the sequence is smooth and there is no jump between frames. For some reason AE is not reading some of the XMP data during import.

I'm on a MBP retina display with 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 and 16GB RAM 1600 MHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

The clip is a little over 1500 DNG files at close to 23 GB. Is this too much to throw at AE in one rendering session? Should I break it down into 500 frame segments? I'll try this.

Anyone else experiencing this problem of XMP not being read consistently?

Thanks,

dennis
#2 Gunther
I think something went wrong when you copied that sequences together-
Please make sure they are all in one folder and have a correct numbering from 0001 to xxxx - without gaps, otherwise After Effects will mess up.
You can rename in Lightroom.
Make sure that you then processed the whole sequence following the workflow from LRTimelapse. At the end, every DNG file should have a XMP-file associated, written by LRTimelapse.
Then you can load that sequence into after effects or just render from the LRTExport with LRTimelapse 3 directly, probably the better solution.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 DLee
Something went wrong with the DNG export.

I later exported my NEF raw files and they worked fine in AE. I just thought I would simplify storage and everything with DNGs... not the case.

I did the LRT3 export sequence several times between these two folders and quicktime simply couldn't play back the rendered sequences smoothly for the sunset. The only thing I can think is that the frame rate might have been different on the second folder... but I don't think that's the case as I used the default settings. I'll try it again when I get a chance.

I did get it looking good in AE; a nice smooth transition. When I finally get this job done I will find the LRT3 movie segments and show you how they fit together verses the AE version.

d

...also check out: