• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

After Effects trick or nonsense?

#1 1tio1
Hey,

I'm always compiling my sequences with AE.
I start from a series of Full Res Jpegs out of LR5 and then render it in ProRes 422 in AE.

Now I was suddenly wondering, what if I export my RAW files as Full Res Tiffs? Would that give me more bit depth after rendering in ProRes 422 to edit some more or putting certain effects on it in Premiere Pro? Or would I just end up with a gigantic file which my computer isn't able to handle?

Oh, thinking about it even more, why not rendering all the DNG's which are updated with the settings I applied in LR5?

Jpeg is only 8-bit so when applying a gaussian blur in Premiere, I've got a lot of color banding.

FYI, I'm working on a 4 year old MBP running OSX Mavericks.
#2 Gunther
You could as well use the LRTimelapse renderer to create the ProRes files - either with jpg intermediates or with tiff intermediates.
The renderer used by LRTimelapse generally delivers better quality then the Adobe-Render engine.

I for myself mostly use JPG intermediates since they are created after the color grading - so the dynamic processing has already taken place making it fine to go 8 bit in most situations.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 1tio1
Hi Gunther,

I unfortunately don't have the budget to purchase the professional version of LRTimelapse. So AE is my only chance in getting ProRes files. That's why I use AE in the first place.

And I know the color grading happens before rendering, but I'm still learning. So it's hard to know beforehand what I wanna do with my rendered sequences. If you've got any tips for that, feel free. Smile

...also check out: