• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Anamorphic aspect ratio output for LRT render

#1 apejovic
First of all hi all, this is my first post on this forum and would like to say hello to all and thank Gunther for his excellent work.

I´m experiencing with the possibilities of using anamorphic adaptors when shooting timelapses. These are widely used in video but not very common in photography. I´m still fine tuning the best matches of anamorphic adaptor and lenses, and results are getting better and better. The looks of the anamorphs, specially at night are much different to a cropped/framed 4/3 or 16/9 footage.

I´m shooting at 4/3 (1.33 aspect ratio) which with the attached 2x adaptor becomes a bit wider than the well known 2.3 cinemascope, actually it is 8/3 (2.66)

My actual workflow is as follows:

LRT Import working with all photos in 4/3, process, import into lightroom, export intermediate jpg and then importing them into premiere. Once imported simply by processing the sequence and telling premiere it is not square pixel but it´s 2:1 I regain the original aspect ratio and then render the video from there.

Another faster way is rendering the actual video in LRT in 4/3 format at 4k and then import the video file to premiere (this method looks sharper) and import the lrt rendered video into premiere and process as 2:1 pixel ratio.

The feature (if already not available) that would be useful in my opinion is to be able to render the video with other aspect ratios than 4/3 or 16/9 or simply being able to choose any non standard resolutions for export, as for example 1920-720 which is the one I´m using.

Here I attach you a video of some quick tests I have done, so you can understand easily what I´m trying to achieve please forgive me for the excessive flicker those are one of my first experiences in timelapsing and I still need to practice much more.

[Video: http://youtu.be/7XKzd1FYDxc]

Thanks in advance
#2 frag-mich-doch.net
Is the footage from Tenerife?
Nice work ;-)
#3 apejovic
Yes that right, I live in Tenerife. I´m flying-working all year long in these landscapes with my drone company, but only now I have started to go to those same locations in a much more relaxed mood, me, the camera and the landscapes...it is such a beautiful relax therapy!
#4 Gunther
What you'd need is a way to scale with non fixed aspect ratios. I will consider adding this as "Pro" feature in one of the next versions.

It's a very interesting concept you are following there. Can you tell us a bit more about the anamorphic adapters you are using please?

Best
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 apejovic
Thank you Gunther:

As you probably know there is a huge number of available old anamorphic and projection anamorphic lenses.

In my case I tried to do this on a low budget using not too expensive anamorphots and combining them with both new and vintage primary lenses.

I think that for this application the ideal ones are the 2x anamorphic adaptors, as the provided 2,66 aspect ratio is easily reduced to 2.33.

There are some limitations, first with most anamorphics (apart of the expensive iscoramas) you have to double focus both the anamorphic adapter and the primary lens. It is not always easy to to do that but as most time lapses are made at infinity or near infinity this is not a real problem in my case. The PIP focus assist and the Peaking option available on the GH4 make this process quicker and easier.

The minimum focusing distance is usually quite big on the cheaper bigger projection adaptors sometimes in the range of 2-3 meters, but there are others that can focus at shorter distances.

And finally vigneting, that is probably the biggest difference between the cheapest and more expensive adaptors.

I used an old DDR Rectimascop 2x adaptor together with a Helios 58mm lens, that setup is not very sharp but flares beautifully.

The test time lapses shown in the video were made with a much more modern schenider cinelux gold adaptor together with a modern m4/3 olympus f1,8 lens. Lately I´ve been using the schneider with a vintage FD 50mm 1,4 ssc canon lens and i´m really happy with that setup as long as I´m stopped at f2,8 or higher. The schneider is very sharp but unfortunately being multicoated it does not flare too much.

It vignettes under 45mm on a gh4 and approximately 90mm on a full frame camera so wider lenses cannot be used but I think that is not a real issue as with the 2x horizontal upscale it actually becomes a 22,5 on m4/3 and 45mm wide horizontally on a full frame.

I will try other anamorphic adaptors which allow a much wider primary lens and shorter focus distance.

I attach you a photo of how the rig actually looks:

And this is a frame of a newer holly grail test made with the schneider-canon combination:

#6 Gunther
Thank you very much for your explanation! Will do some additional researches by myself!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#7 apejovic
Eoshd.com anamorphic guide is a good way to start, please send me a message if i can help you somehow, and If you come back to Tenerife!

...also check out: