• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Any Tips on Chasing the Moon with the Radial Filter?

#1 circlingkailas
HI all - I have been using the pandemic lockdown to get my time-lapse workflow down, going out almost every evening at dusk and then working with LRT5 the next day. Last night I stayed up late in a lonely coastal salt marsh to capture the rise of the full moon. Just me and the whip-poor-wills. qDSLR Auto-Holy Grail,, LRT Pro Timer, and an Emotimo 2D head set to slave triggered by the Timer.

Anyway, I am trying to master the radial filters to reduce the moon brightness as well as its reflection on the water. If find that in LRT 5 I am "chasing" the moon and its reflection with the radial filters. I position the filters as instructed, but invariably there is one spot in the sequence where the filter animation is not keeping up with the image, and I get a dark radial smudge in the image.

The best thing I can come up with right now is greatly increasing the number of keyframes. So that there is a keyframe just before the moon rises, and more keyframes increase the accuracy of the filter animation.

Is that what people do? Or are there any other suggestions on how to better manage the radial filter movement so that it keeps up with the moon?

Thanks
Kailas
#2 mopperle
Hi Kailas, If I understood correct what you are trying to do, I think you can do this better with a video editing software like DaVinci Resolve (it is free) Gunther made a very good tutorial for DaVinci resolve. Watch this chapter:
https://gwegner.de/know-how/videoschnitt...l-folge-6/
While it is in German, you will see how he is using the "Tracking" function.
Gruß/regards

Otto

...also check out: