• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Anyone using the Rhino Motion for TL?

#21 Gunther
This is the trouble into which customers get that are lead to believe that they have to set the shutter time on the motion controller. Absolute nonsense! The real shutter time is always set on the camera! Just understand the time that you set on the controller as 'trigger-time'. Set it to a value that reliably triggers your camera. 1/10 th should be fine. Always set our to this value, regardless of the real shutter time that you set on the camera!
I just hope they will finally release an upgrade that makes the programming more user friendly and more conform to the way time lapse photographers work.

sent mobile via tapatalk...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#22 crdeantonio
Gunther laying down the law on the Rhino people!
#23 crammond
The bulb mode should be used with exposures of 1 second or longer. They say you should switch to Manual mode if you use exposure shorter than 1 second.

And I can't call them since I'm located in Europe Smile

I'd just like to see if the above settings work for anyone? Smile
#24 richparry
crammond,

No one calls on the phone anymore. Email them. They may not tell you what you want to hear, but I've emailed than a half dozen times on this issue. Last month they said they would have a fix in 3-4 weeks, as of now they are overdue.

Even though I would like a fix to adjust the interval for time lapse work, I am happy with the product with the exception of the MOTION controller that is impossible to "see" during the day.

Rich
Canon user: 5DM3, 5DM2, Rhino Slider (24" & 42"), Emotimo TB3. Use Adobe ACR and AE.
#25 crammond
@Gwegner: Thanx, setting it to 1/10 seemed to do the trick. 

I used to own DP stage1 with the MX2 controller and I do remember I could set the interval on the mx2 and that made much more sense when setting everything up (mind it that I only do timelapses a couple of times yearly so I almost need to re-learn the controller everytime I use it).

Thanks for the help!

@richparry: I've been emailing them before about other stuff but I wanted to clear this with a fellow Rhino slider user before I bug them with something that seems to be cleared now.
#26 kimjelly
"The bulb mode should be used with exposures of 1 second or longer. They say you should switch to Manual mode if you use exposure shorter than 1 second".

Statements like that from Rhino makes me think that the designer is woefully ignorant of peoples creativity.
#27 Gunther
That is total nonsense. You should always shot in M mode. It goes until 30 seconds. Only, if you need longer exposures then 30 secs, in theory, bulb would be an option. But this never happens. I guess, I'll make a tshirt: 'Bulb is not for time lapse.'

#28 sdugu00
Sooo, i am really considering getting this, but still am confused if you are able to do holy grail lapses with the motion controller?
#29 Gunther
Yes, of course it is.

Question
#30 pwscott
I'm liking the Rhino Essentials Slider Bundle at B&H...but none of my MF3 cameras is specifically supported for triggering it appears..

I mostly shoot with the Olympus OMD EM5 Mark II, and I have an Olympus OMD EM1 Mark II on order. It seems these are not supported. I can also use any of my lenses on the Panasonic GX8 I own too, but it lacks a battery grip and some of the other functions I use on the Olympus Gear... Rhino doesn't specifically say they support the GX8, but they support a whole range of other Panasonic cameras like GH4 etc.

Do you suppose I can adapt a cable to trigger the Olympus gear from the Rhino Motion? Is it just a cable with each end installed? I was able to buy both cable for my Trigger Trap for example... What is on the Rhino side of the cable...is it a standard mini-plug e.g.

Looking further at these links / links it appears to be a stereo mini plug? So I am thinking I could even use the cable from the Trigger Trap e.g. with an extension like this??

Thanks.

Phil

...also check out: