• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Auto Holy Grail metering and AWB issues

#1 Jimna
I tried shooting a sunset at Red Rocks Amphitheatre with the auto holy grail and found that as it got darker it over exposed the rocks leaving me with a brighter foreground in the end of the sequence than I had to start.  Is this a metering choice issue?  I have not found much info on metering in the setup to ensure good results in these transitions.  Also curious on tips when doing a sunset with the city with brighter foreground vs far away from all man made light pollution in a very dark setting where the frame light fall off will be more equal as night comes along. 

Also, white balance settings are now in question after seeing these results and the subsequent issues I am trying to fix in post.  I ran this shoot at the daylight setting, but still I see a strange change in tone from start to finish whic I am trying to fix, would auto white balance be better here too?  In the past I swore off AWB as I got so much flicker as result, what is the best practice here too?
#2 Gunther
You should always observe the histogram and adjust the reference value in qDDB from time to time, when you notice that the images get too dark or too bright.
White balance is something you you should keyframe in post processing when editing in Lightroom. Don't care about it when shooting. I assume that you are shooting RAW.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Jimna
So to adjust exposure while shooting with the auto holy grail I simply hit the negative (-) button beside the set reference box?  I am having a hard time finding detailed info on this and understanding the functionality of that option, can you explain this more?

Thank you for the WB explanation.

Since the original post (but before your reply) I shot a new location and had the same issues.  Below are some of the things I tried to fix them this time without luck:
- I tried to use the exposure compensation on the bottom of the screen but it only has options of positive adjustments, not negative.  
- I also tried to adjust my max and min shutter and iso settings mid shoot but they seem to not register, do I need to disengage the auto holy grail to make them work? 
- I tried hitting the negative button beside the "set reference" box but couldn't see any change, nor could I tell what incremental change I was attempting to making each time I hit the button. 

Thanks for your help!
#4 Gunther
Yes, you change the reference value (see top left of the preview). Changes will not be immediately, just later or earlier. Observe both values: reference and the current luminosity above.
I've explained that in the holy grail tutorial, check out the tutorials section.

sent mobile via tapatalk...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: