• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Beginner Question: Shooting 5 sec exposures Astrophotography

#1 Graeme
Hi ; beginner user so forgive the naivity.

I wish to shoot a series of 5 second exposures (say 50). I'm a little confused with the best process using the protimer for short exposure astrophotography.

I presume I have the camera in Manual mode, dial in 5sec exposure, single shot then choose time-lapse on the protimer as prompted. What interval should I choose though? I can't seem to get this bit right as shot exposures seem to be all over the place.

Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou
#2 Gunther
If you shoot with exposures smaller than 30 secs (as in your case) you should use the TImelapse M mode on the PRO Timer. Then to begin with, just set the Interval say 2 seconds longer than the exposure. In your case 5 secs Exposure (set on the Camera in M Mode) and 7 Secs interval should do it.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Graeme
Many thanks for reply. I figured out that image preview was messing things up. Taking off image preview then 7 sec intervals for 5 exposures works perfectly!!
#4 wilko61
Hi Graeme,

If you require to try to achieve shorter intervals (reducing the 2sec in your example), you could try turning off the LCD display on the camera that displays the current camera settings between shots.

Cheers

...also check out: