• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best aperture setting for timelapses ?

Wink
#1 nitroman
Hi !

I'm new to shooting time lapses on my Canon 5D2 and have a question ...

When shooting timelapses, i've read it's best to shoot at the widest aperture to avoid chances of any flicker.

However, many of my landscapes need f8 or f11 for the best depth of field.

Can LRTimelapse eliminate most of the aperture flicker caused by stopping the lens down or am i best to always shoot wide open ?

How successful is LRT at eliminating flicker ?

Any advice would be appreciated ! Thanks
#2 pgravestock@gmail.com
Hi,

To avoid apperture flicker on a Canon you could try the twisted lens technique. Basically, set the apperture you need, then press the apperture preview button, and whilst holding down the preview button, unlock the lens and twist SLIGHTLY so that the electrical connection to the lens is broken. The apperture is now fixed at your required setting. If you need to correct lens distortion in apps such as LightRoom, you will need to identify the lens manually as with the lens connection broken, the camera doesnt know what lens is attached.

Now to avoid shutter flicker use a slow shutter speed, meaning that any variation of shutter speed is immaterial compared to the shutter speed you are using.

Just be aware of the twisted lens, and secure it properly before you remove the camera from the tripod.

Rgds

Paul
aperture
Nimrud
2015-03-17, 15:06
Last Post: Gunther

...also check out: