• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best approach to daily long term project

#1 slabkoff
Hi,
There is a building about to be put up across the road from my office. A rare opportunity to do a TL of a full construction site from the warmth of my office.  

My question is, given the changes in lighting and such, what are the best settings to use?

Right now, I've set up a Nikon D300s to shot one frame every 3 min (which is probably WAY too many frames as the project will run over at least a year).

I've tried these kinds of big projects in the past, and have very varied results... 

Right now:

ISO 1600 (fixed)
White balance - Sunlight - and fixed
Exposure - on AUTOMATIC exposure - and is VARYING with every shot - which is against the typical TL shooting I've done - usually I hold this fixed, but given the day-to-night, I'm just not sure what to do - as well as the daily condition changes w/r/t rain, etc.
Focus - MANUAL - and fixed.

Can someone critique these settings for me and if needed, please suggest better settings for a good result?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
#2 Gunther
Usually you would do those setups in automatic mode. I'd use A-Mode + Auto ISO. I don't think a fixed ISO of 1600 is a good idea, because you might get blown images during the day.
In post then you can filter with the LRTimelapse long term workflow to get a sequence with similar images. Add some deflicker afterwards and motion blur, and you'll get quite nice results.
Shooting a lot more images then you will actually use at the end is part of the concept.
Check out my Long-Term workflow description on https://lrtimelapse.com/workflow/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 slabkoff
Gunther,
Thanks a bunch for the link and the suggestion. I've started the project wrong - but it's not that far gone - as it will run for at least a year - it's a construction project. I'll adjust my settings tonight and hopefully, by using the Auto ISO setting and a fixed Aperture, I'll get better results. Your support for your user base is unparalleled. Thanks so much!

Steve

...also check out: