• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1 Leng
Hi all,

I am new in the timelapse world.
I shot a first timelapse of a sunset using a syrp genie mini.
And I noticed some black dots (small one but bigger ones as well), and figure out lately that they were birds.
I managed to fix them (fortunately) in Lightroom frame by frame...but it is really painful!

Do you guys have a mean to avoid during the capture (i have heard of using ND filter???) or an easy way to remove during post production?
#2 Gunther
Use long exposure time when shooting a time lapse. This will not give you smoother results but eliminate birds and insects when shooting already. That way you don't get those problems. I'm afraid there is no easy way to remove them in post. For the basics of time lapse shooting, including the need to use ND filters and so on, I'd recommend my ebook "Timelapse shooting and processing", see the link at the bottom of this page.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Leng
Thanks Gunther! Your eBook, already bought need Smile
I need to go throught.

For Birds and insects, you say "long exposure", how will be the ideal aperture time?
#4 Gunther
It's explained in the EBook. The rule of thumb is 1/2 of the interval, but you can go longer if you want. Everything more than 1 sec will usually blur flying insects and birds so that they are not visible anymore. But longer is better. :-)
#5 c_joerg
I'm just thinking about a bird detector. Not in all situations I can use an ND filter. For example, in time-lapse in the Wadden Sea (tideland),. There I then haven’t a stable stand and must stabilize the video later.

My idea is
(This should work at least in continuous areas of sky, sand and silt)

1) I take three pictures and make differences (Image1-Image2, Image3-Image2, Image1-Image3)
2) Then I examine only the image areas, where between Image1 and Image3 hardly differ
3) If then the difference between Image1-Image2 and Image3-Image2 is approximately identical, then I examine these areas further.
4) Exceeding the found image area is not a certain size, and then I replace the image areas from Image2 with those from Image1 or Image 3
5) Next, I do this with Image2, Image3, Image4 and so on…
#6 Gunther
Check out this tutorial how to do it in after effects:
https://vimeo.com/44964208
#7 c_joerg
I don't have after effects but this works very well

http://www.ylilammi.com/2013/12/bird-rem...ime-lapse/

(2017-08-30, 13:46)gwegner Wrote: Check out this tutorial how to do it in after effects:
#8 Gunther
Thanks for the link, that sounds interesting!
Although with long exposure times, normally you don't get this problem - but this plugin might be a good helper for people that don't.
#9 c_joerg
Basically, the ‘BerconBirdRemoval’ plugin works quite well. However, on this video the wings of the wind turbines were shortened as well.

Watch video (embedding not allowed for privacy reasons)
#10 Lapsefinger
I have some bird issues too... :-) Removing birds in After effects is super easy to do, but it gives a rather undesireable echo effect, especcially in fast moving timelapses, so I'm ditching that method.

Instead, I painstakingly removed the birds in Lightroom with the spot removal tool, frame by frame. Since this was a jpeg sequence (from my early days of timelapsing) i had to export it as DNG.

However, when I was finished editing in LRT/LR, I discovered that the bird were back! I'm guessing that LRT «Synced» my edits away. At least, I can't see another explanation. Is there a way to make LRT ignore local edits?
spot removal
scientik
2014-07-29, 11:12
Last Post: djuna

...also check out: