• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bit depth and bit rate.

#1 JohnN
What is the bit depth of the different video render quality settings?

I understand the different quality settings are variable bitrate. What are variable bitrate parameters for each quality level?

Thank you!
#2 Gunther
Hi John, bit depth in ProRes is 10 bit, in MP4 it's 8 bit.
There is no dedicated "bitrate", since LRTimelapse uses CRF compression (Constant Rate Factor).
See: http://slhck.info/video/2017/02/24/crf-guide.html
The qualities are defined as follows:
Ultra High: 8
Very high: 10
High: 16
Medium: 20
Low: 22
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 JohnN
Thank you!
#4 Piak
i dont get it. We export tiff 8 bit, now we render to 10 bit. How can this possible? any suggest please?
#5 Gunther
You can export either 8bit Tiffs or 16bit tiffs via LRTExport. Of course the 16bit tiffs in theory will have more details, but since this happens after you did the contrast editing in LR, it's not a big difference anymore. So when rendering in Prores, if you want to get the maximum possible quality, you should export in 16 bit TIFF also. In reality the difference in many cases is not noticeable.
#6 Piak
Thanks for the answer.  I actually don’t understand how it is possible to export as tif 8bit from lr to LRTL and then we render it using Prores which is 10 bit?    I mean from 8 to 10.   Is the bit for image and bit for video differenc?    Lately i notice that I have banding in sky in my clip. This could be due to I export 8jpeq.   Btw I has private licience   I think. I should cross grade now.
#7 Gunther
If you export in 8bit and render in 10 of course you will not gain in quality, but you won't loose also. It's just 8 bit being stretched to 10.
If you render in Prores, best would be to go for the Tiff intermediaries in LRT Pro.
#8 Piak
Thanks Gunther

...also check out: