• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Blending 30 fps with 29,97 fps

#1 agemagnus
[size=small][font=Calibri]Hi.[/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Calibri]I have encountered an unexpected problem in which I can`t easily seem to find a good solution for. [/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Calibri]I`m working on a film project with combined time lapse (30 fps) and drone video (29,97 fps) and have reached the point where I have rendered the final film from Premiere Pro with Media Encoder to a H.264 1080p 30 fps film. My problem is that when playing back, the parts of the film with drone footage (29,97 fps) seem to not run smoothly but rather “stutter” slightly, as if lacking frames.[/font][/size]

[size=small][font=Calibri]If I render the film in 29,97 fps the same happens to the parts with time lapse footage, which originally were in 30 fps. It looks like the two don’t mix. I never expected this as the specs for my drone said 30 fps. When I discovered that it in fact was 29,97 fps I expected the difference to be too small to notice. [/font][/size]

[size=small][font=Calibri]This problem becomes apparent when all my time lapse footage over several years are rendered from LRTimelapse in 30 fps.[/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Calibri]Do I really need to re-render all my time lapses to 29,97 fps and swap all 30 fps versions in the premiere timeline? Or am I doing something apparently wrong? [/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Calibri]I know there is a way of blending framerates with After Effects but I would rather avoid to add this to my workflow. [/font][/size]

[size=small][font=Calibri]I would be very thankful if anyone has and would share a solution to this challenge, as I fear my project isn’t as close to finish as I first thought [/font][/size][font=Wingdings][size=small]J[/size][/font]
[size=small][font=Calibri] [/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Calibri]AgeMagnus[/font][/size]
#2 Gunther
30 fps in the majority of all cases is another word for 29.97 fps. So you are on the safe side, if you render with 29.97 in LRTimelapse.
But now, since you already used the "true" 30fps, you have to bring that footage down to 29.97 in premiere. You need to use the "interpret footage" feature for this. So select every of those clips in 30fps, then from the Premiere Pro clip menu choose Adjust/Interpret Footage (exact naming might vary, since I don't have my premiere set to english language). This will make Premiere play back those clips with 29.97. It's the same, as if you had exported from LRT directly in 29.97.
For timelapse the playback speed is only a metadata information. So you can just change it afterwards too.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 agemagnus
[size=small][font=Calibri]Oh, wow. How amazingly simple! This just saved me from a lot of time and put my project back on track. The film now runs smooth and nice all the way. Thank you so much for the fast and very helpful reply! [/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Calibri]I would like to use this opportunity to sincerely thank you for creating LRTimelapse! Like for so many other time lapsers out there, this fantastic software has made my workflow a dream, and my precious LRTimelapse is as important to me as the rest of my photo gear. Without it I would be lost! [/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Calibri]Thanks again! [/font][/size][font=Wingdings][size=small]J[/size][/font]
[size=small][font=Calibri] [/font][/size]
#4 Gunther
Wow, thank you! Much appreciated! I hope it's okay that I added your statement as a quote to my user voices on LRTimelapse.com. If not, just let me know! Continue enjoying your work!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 agemagnus
[size=small][font=Calibri]Absolutely! No problem. I would be [font=Calibri]honored! Wink[/font][/font][/size]

...also check out: