• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can qDslrDashboard work with Sony A6300?

#1 GBakker
Is there any way to make this software work with a Sony A6300?

I downloaded qDslrDashboard to my IOS device(s) but I can't figure out how to connect to my camera. 

Do I need that TP-Link router attached to my hotshoe? I don't even know if the camera would be correctly controlled via the device.

Using qDslrDashboard seems like a much easier way to do Holy Grail timelapse photography.

Regards,
Gary

Gary[size=small] [size=x-small][size=xx-small](Sony A6300 shooter)[/size][/size][/size]
#2 Gunther
I don't know exactly about the A6300, but if it's supported by qDDB (ask on dslrdashboard.info ) you should be able to connect via wifi. Most Sonys require the latest firmware and wifi-App to be installed on the camera. Make sure to upgrade those! Maybe then it works right out of the box.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 GBakker
Thank you Gunther. I expected this answer, but I thought I would try on the LRTimelapse forums first.
Gary

Gary[size=small] [size=x-small][size=xx-small](Sony A6300 shooter)[/size][/size][/size]
#4 GBakker
I am posting this update for the benefit of future forum participants who might have this same questions I had. Hopefully a search will lead them here.

The Sony A6300 (as well as the Sony A6000) is listed on the qDDB forums as a supported camera, with the caveat that the "Smart remote control" app from PlayMemories needs to be installed.

Here is the process*:
1. On the camera, search for and download the Smart Remote Control app. You will need a Sony userid and password to do this.
(menu - apps tab - Application List)

2. On your device, download from the appropriate App Store the Sony PlayMemories app.**
(I'm using iOS/iTunes for my iPhone)***

3. On the camera, launch the Smart Remote app.
(menu - apps tab - Application List)

4. On your device, connect with the camera via WiFi.
(on the iPhone: Settings - Wifi - <select camera>)
(this can be done via QR code that displays on the camera, or with the password that is shown on the camera)

5. On your device, launch qDslrDashboard, and press the Sony Wireless button.
(live view shows up on your device)

6. Use qDslrDashboard functions.****

* Note that I have not yet tested all this in the field. But the process here works inside my four walls.
** Since this app isn't actually used, I'm not sure why it is required. It must handle the wifi communication between the device and the camera?
*** The qDslrDashboard interface is quite small on my iPhone 6. I may try this on my iPad to help these elderly eyes of mine.

**** Back button focus does not work in this remote controlled environment. You have to enable shutter AF.

#5 Gunther
Thanks for posting this here.
1) That's what I meant with "Most sonys require the latest firmware and wifi app to be installed".
2) The App is required to handle the WiFi comm
3) You can scale the interface in the qDDB settings
4) Normally you don't use AF at all when shooting timelapse.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#6 GBakker
Quote:3) You can scale the interface in the qDDB settings

4) Normally you don't use AF at all when shooting timelapse.

Re #3. I'll check that out. Thanks!

Re #4. Silly me. Of course. I was testing the setup at home and discovered that I couldn't use back button focusing like usual. It didn't occur to me to remember that when really shooting a timelapse that the focus is manual anyway. So back button focusing is irrelevant.

#7 pauantich
I use Qdslr on my Ipad and Iphone. It is possible to use the Lrt Pro intervalometer on my Sony A6300? As far as I know I can only connect Qdslr via Playmemories trigger app...
The camera only responds to the app trigger and cannot be triggered normally by manual trigger

...also check out: