• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can't change exposure on Nikon Z6II while shooting

#1 Fred G
Does anyone have any tips on changing the exposure on a Z6II while the camera is running in interval timer mode. I was shooting with my D850 and Z6II, side by side in manual and interval mode, 1/15th s, two second intervals) the other night and as it got darker, I added exposure (ISO) to both cameras while they were running (this was the first time I had used the Z6II for a time lapse). When I was finished, I found that while all my D850 exposures reflected the increase in ISO, none of my Z6II images did. All the Z6II images were my initial setting of when I began shooting.
I contacted NPS and was told by a rep that he replicated the condition and that the exposure on the Z6II can be changed while the camera is running, but only in between shots, not while the camera is actually taking the shot, which he claimed he did accomplish. He and I are still going back and forth on this, because if you’re shooting with a relatively short interval like one or two seconds, it would be near impossible to change a setting between shots, but I went so far as to do some test interval shooting with 5 second intervals, which would leave plenty of time to change a shutter speed or ISO in between the shots. Still, the changes did not take effect. The NPS rep further noted that I’d be better served to shoot in auto ISO or shutter priority, so surprisingly he had no conception of what I was referring to by using terms like day to night or night day or Holy Grail.
Bottom line, is any anyone out there using a Z6II for Holy Grail work. BTW, my camera has all the latest software updates.
Thanks,
Fred Greco
#2 Gunther
Usually working with the internal intervalometer of the cameras is quite limited, it won't give you much time to change the settings. With long intervals and short exposures it's possible, but the shorter the dark times (interval minus exposure) get, the mor difficult / impossible.
That's why I developed the LRT PRO Timer - to allow the shortest dark times possible and still be able to control the camera.
I'd recommend to check out the pages and tutorials about the LRT PT and come back, if you have any additional questions: https://lrtimelapse.com/lrtpt

Other, cheaper external intervalometers might also be better, but usually they send at least 1 sec Autofocus signal to the camera, which will block and extend the time in which you cannot operate the camera.

And to answer your last question: I use a Z 6II all the time for my Holy Grail and other timelapse work, and for me it's the perfect camera for timelapse :-)
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Fred G
Well, thank you so much Gunther. Glad to see you like the Z6II as your "go to" timelapse camera! I'll certainly follow up on your recommendation. Smile

...also check out: