• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can the Nikon D850 be used with the qDslrDashboard over USB like the D800?

#11 labadie
Hi all, I'm very interested in buying the D850, because of it associates a fairly good 4K abilities (very important for me while shooting big waves or eruptions for example) with very good stills abilities.
Before doing it in a few months, I just want to be sure that I'll be able to use Qdslrdashboard with it on my android device without problems (either with an USB cable or wifi, it's not an important point for me, as long as it's possible). If not I may not buy this camera !
#12 Gunther
USB and WiFi via TPLink router works fine. Internal Wifi not so because of the Snapbridge issue, see: https://lrtimelapse.com/open-letter/nikon/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#13 labadie
Yes, I remember this letter (and signed it of course)...Thanks for your answer, and for learning that the D850 will be usable for holy grails, even with this stupid snapbridge issue.
#14 iqlusion003
Quote:Of course you can set the D850 to Liveview and turn on the silent shutter when shooting timelapse. The only drawback is, that Liveview will be on all the time - this is when working with an external intervalometer.

Thanks Gunther, that's what I was after! Happy to bring extra batteries if it saves my shutter clacking all night. 

Many thanks. Smile
#15 Gunther
Yes but it will warm up your sensor and illuminate the surroundings because the display is on. I still prefer to shoot the regular way until Nikon gives us the option to shoot silently with display off.
#16 bernhardj
Hi all

After playing around with my new D850 for a while, I wanted to test out Auto-Holy-Grail yesterday.

I had two problems:
1. I couldn't connect the camera the camera directly via USB to my Microsoft Surface (with the TPLink-router it works but not every time). QDSLR-Version is 3.5.5. Is there maybe a driver missing?
2. Now the big issue: As soon as I am in Auto-Holy-Grail mode the camera refuses to be triggered from an external timer, tried with Pro-timer Free and a pixel timer. The liveview in QDSLR is visible and I can capture the sample image in LRT and it is transferred properly. As soon as a disconnect the router, the camera starts triggering with the running timer.

I tried both liveview-modes (silent shutter on/off) but didn't make any difference.

The same setup (tablet, router, timer) always worked perfectly with my old D700.

Any ideas to solve this issue(s)?
#17 Gunther
In order to be shooting the holy grail with qDDB, you have to go to the "LRT" screen, you must not have Live view turned on. Normally when entering that screen you will get warned if you have live view on.
So turn Liveview off, then triggering the camera with an external intervalometer will work.
Make sure to set RAW+JPG Basic in S for the previews, and use lossy compression on RAW files, otherwise the files will get very big and transmission of previews will be slow with the D850's massive resolution.
#18 bernhardj
Thanks Gunther

It works perfectly now when I go directly in the LRT screen. I never got any warnings that the Liveview is still on, maybe a software bug?

Concerning fileformats: In my humble opinion it shouldn't make any difference for transmission if using lossy instead of lossless compression on the RAW as only the JPEG Basic is transferred.  There might be a small difference in CPU processing time and memory writing which is anyway increadibly fast with the XQD card.

Or am I completely wrong?

Bernhard

...also check out: