• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canyonlands 8k - Time lapse movie from Canyonlands National Park, Utah

#1 jorn-t
CANYONLANDS 8K

https://youtu.be/-cOwh615HzQ

When I was a child, I saw a picture of some gigantic, orange and dark red canyons in a children's atlas. I could not believe such a place could exist on Earth.

Canyonlands National Park in Utah has some of the most impressive and otherworldly landscapes you can imagine - it really feels like being on a different planet! The 2000m / 6200ft tall plateau has, after millions of years, been eroded into a maze of canyons by the mighty Colorado River and Green River.

In 2015, I was lucky to get to visit the beautiful national park for the first time. With a tight schedule, and tired after a long trip, I only had time and energy to visit the Needles District on this first visit. A handful time lapse shots were made using a consumer class Canon 700D and 550D camera, on a warm and sunny day.

The beauty of this otherworldly landscape made me take another trip in 2017, exploring most of the Island in The Sky area, and watching the sunset over Canyonlands from a viewpoint at Dead Horse Point State Park.

Two years later, in 2019, I went back to Canyonlands and visited Island in The Sky once again. This time with my camera equipment significantly upgraded to a Nikon D850, Nikon D7200 and a Canon 77D. Arriving from Green River, a long way past noon the first day, I was aiming to get a few nice sunset shots. Unfortunately, the weather was terrible, with a lot of clouds, wind and rain passing by all the time. Photographing from above the Shafer Trail, I had to run and save my camera equipment from wind several times as stormy showers passed by.

At the Grand View Point towards the end of the day, there were only a handful photographers left, not surprisingly since rain was pouring. No sign of the sun, just gray clouds, and everything looked dull. Half an hour before sunset, it was not a golden hour, but a rather rainy hour. Considering giving up the photo session in exchange for dinner in Moab, I had my cameras set up for a long, final time lapse shot on the eastern side of Grand View Point, while most of the other photographers packed their camera gear and left.

Suddenly, seemingly appearing from nowhere, I had some gigantic, threatening mammatus clouds right above my head. I instantly aborted one of the time lapse shots I started 15-20 minutes earlier, and ran like crazy with the camera to the western side, leaving the other camera behind.

I photographed the sky while running, more or less in panic, looking for a spot to set up my tripod. Hurried back to pick up the other camera, setting up new shots on the western side. Just five minutes before sunset, the sky had cleared up in the west, and I had all cameras set on tripods capturing both the sunset, a rainbow and some magnificent storm clouds.

After I started editing the clips, I realized I had captured some dark, rotating storm clouds above the 3877 meters tall La Sal mountains as well. It really paid off being a patient, steadfast photographer that evening!

Next day was spent at the neighbour Dead Horse Point State Park, and afterwards driving down the spectacular “World's most dangerous road” contender called Shafer Trail Road, all the way to Moab. I've chosen to include a few shots from Dead Horse Point and from areas right outside the Canyonlands National Park as well.

You can see all those shots in this short movie, produced in 8K UHD. Best viewed on a 65" or taller 8K/4k television with the volume turned up to enjoy the magnificent soundtrack by Scott Buckley. Visit his home page here:
https://www.scottbuckley.com.au/

Camera equipment used:

Canon 550D w/18-55mm Canon kit lens
Canon 700D w/10-24mm Tamron wide angle lens
Canon 760D w/10-18mm Canon wide angle lens
Canon 77D w/10-18mm Canon wide angle lens & Canon 50 mm f/1.4
Nikon D850 w/Sigma Art 14-24mm f/2.8 & Sigma Art 50mm f/1.4
Nikon D7200 w/Sigma Art 20mm f/1.4 & Nikon 24-120mm
Homemade timelapse dolly

Hope you will enjoy this short film!
Any feedback is well appreciated.

For more of my short films, visit my YouTube channel: