• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Changing speed with AE or Premiere/FCP?

#1 ehickok
I'm wondering... when you are done with all your LRTL changes and ready to export out to edit more.... specifically to change the speed at different points in your video, would it be best to do that in After Effects or Premiere/FCP? I've looked online a bunch and can't find a definitive answer, so I was wondering what folks here typically do. I am using AE and Premiere (not FCP), and I know they work very differently. I know you can do time re-mapping in AE, but I'm not convinced that it is better than using Premiere. Any thoughts?
#2 Gunther
It doesn't make a great difference, if you use the normal time remapping. After effects however offers the "time warp" function, that will work more sophisticated - a bit like twixtor.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 anna
(2013-02-21, 02:41)ehickok Wrote: I'm wondering... when you are done with all your LRTL changes and ready to export out to edit more.... specifically to change the speed at different points in your video, would it be best to do that in After Effects or Premiere/FCP? I've looked online a bunch and can't find a definitive answer, so I was wondering what folks here typically do. I am using AE and Premiere (not FCP), and I know they work very differently. I know you can do time re-mapping in AE, but I'm not convinced that it is better than using Premiere. Any thoughts?

Both Motion and AE use the same techniques of time stretching, either frame blending or the complex optical flow (Motion) or time warp with pixel motion (After Effects). In most of the cases they deliver good results except you have for example very fine structures like a night sky with stars - in this case you get weird bendings or "warp effects" in your sky. Twixtor from Re:Vision is a powerful plugin (which does a lot more than just time stretching) working with Motion and AE - this plugin offers you more possibilities and you can animate the type of missing frame reconstruction -either frame blending (at points where you want to avoid the bending effect) or pixel motion.

...also check out: