• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Coarse noise in dark areas

#1 dianemiller
I have a sequence of the moon rising after dark behind silhouetted trees, with illuminated fog swirling around the moon. Canon R5, LR Classic 10.4, Mac Pro 10.14.6. Manual exposure was for the fog and exposure on the moon varies with the amount of fog covering it. ISO 6400, f/16, 0.4 sec exposure, 1 sec intervals. Ambient light on the trees did not change -- they were completely dark. The histograms looked good, as did the raw files and the adjusted files, but the JPEGs (and the video) show variable frames where the dark (black) trees show coarse greenish noise. This is variable frame to frame so it flashes in the video. Running Visual Deflicker did not make a difference. Two adjacent frames are attached.

I had 5-6 keyframes and made minor changes as they progressed. Before the JPEGs were rendered there were no exclamation points on the frames, so all the metadata adjustments should have been in the files. The "noise" problem gets worse toward the end. An area I darkened with one of the LRT gradients (exposure lowered) remains black while the trees show the "noise". The histograms are all pushed completely to the black wall.

If I go to LR and look at the JPEGs that show this issue, they first show that "noisy" appearance, then they quickly change to a view where the trees are black as they should be, presumably when the adjusted previews are loaded. So it looks like the rendering is not keeping up with the adjustments and not waiting for the adjusted previews?

I have done only minor adjustments -- the initial ones are attached below. Changes through the keyframes were minor.

After some tests with short sequences, I redid the set with no changes between keyframes, and the only adjustments were Exposure +1.3 and a slight Curve adjustment. Sharpening was the same. Clarity reduced to 0. This fixed the "noise" problem, but in the original attempt, why didn't the exported JPEGs reflect the adjustments that showed in LR? The export took a very long time and should have picked up the adjustments. If it had, the noise would not be seen.

Was I doing something wrong? I think the only change was the Clarity slider.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
Hi, it's hard to say from a distance.
One thing to consider is that if you compare the exported JPGs with the Raws in Lightroom, you should definitely zoom to 1:1 in LR, otherwise LR will sometimes show a smoothened image in reduzed size.
If you do so, the export will be the same as you see it in Lightroom.
Of course when rendering the video, some compression will happen (especially in MP4/H.264) but this shouldn't cause such effects.

I'd recommend to check out my expert tips video #5 regarding the contrast and color changes Lightroom introduces in some situations and how to prevent them:
https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/expert/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 dianemiller
Thanks Gunther -- I think maybe I'm pushing the limits of LR with such a high ISO. The problem is much reduced when I don't use a lot of Clarity.

...also check out: