• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Color flicker in Milkyway timelapse

#1 Thomas Markert
Hi guys,

I shot the Milkyway with a Nikon D750 with ISO4000, 10s exposure and F2.8. Having done the corrections to the keyframe in Lightroom (mainly white and lights increased, defined a custom white balance) and applying it to all other shots with LRT I get a lot of color flickering. It looks like the white balance is shifted from picture to picture, but its not according to LR. It seems like a variation of the white balance tint.
I think its not a failure of LRT, as I reset all changes in LR and applied the same changes to 2 pictures manually and there is the same problem.

You can see the problem in the video here:

https://vimeo.com/155251352
password: flicker

Deflicker in LRT doesn't help, unfortunately. Any ideas other than motion blur while rendering?

Thanks
Thomas
#2 Gunther
This is something your sensor produces - kind of noise. Try increasing color noise reduction and smoothing on the keyframes, but in my experience it's hard to get rid of it completely. Increasing some tools in Lightroom like "Whites", "Clarity", "Dehaze" etc. might amplify the effect, so edit with care.

But I'm nevertheless surprised, that the quality is so bad - normally I don't get this with my D750, I know the effect from my old D7000s.
Try shooting with ISO 3200 only next time and increase the exposure time a bit. Going for a faster lens might help too (20mm Sigma Art f/1.4 is a godsend for this kind of stuff... :-))
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Thomas Markert
I brought my D750 to the Nikon service who made a full assessment in particular of the white balance function of the camera. I mentioned that I'm photographing in RAW but they insisted that a calibration of the camera internal white belance might help. Anyway, the calibration tool didn't show any problem but a new calibration was performed. I also realised that they changed the RAW settings from 12bit to 14bit. That might help as well. I had no chance to check the camera after the service but will let you know ...
#4 JackBolshaw
Hey Thomas,

I know this was a few years back but did you ever resolve this problem? I just shot a sequence and randomly (not at any step up/down) the colour changes for 5 frames then goes back to 'normal'. Again, I checked LRT and LR but neither are to blame.

It's exactly as you described it seems rather like a tint shift as opposed to a white balance alteration. It's super frustrating because it's a really nice sequence that now I have to cut short and even more annoying that it's base ISO, plenty of buffer time and it's making me apprehensive to think that I can do everything right on location and still get a problem in post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile I've tried editing it out manually but I've certainly improved it but it's still noticeable.

Happy shooting,

Jack

...also check out: