• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

color profile problem

#11 Gunther
Currently my goal is to provide a wide gamut workflow with LRTimelapse. You can still convert down to sRGB at the very end, when exporting your final Video from your video program. This way, you have all options.

If I'd create the intermediary files in sRGB, you'd never be able to go back to a wider color gamut later.

I'm not sure what exactly is happening on your system, but my experience is, that the current workflow gives the most accurate colors possible. I see no significant difference between Lightroom and the final video even for difficult sequences.
I've already given you a couple of hints what you could check. I've too suggested to go back to 4.7.1 to repeat the whole workflow with the older, srgb workflow and see, if this really gives you better rendition on your system, but obviously you didn't try.

It's very hard to help you because color management is a very complex topic, where you can do a lot wrong since every single component in the whole chain is involved, from the individual programs used (incl. video player), Lightroom settings, OS Color profiles used and Monitor settings. And yet apart from yours, I've only had positive feedback about the new color accuracy with the wide gamut workflow.

On a side note why I don't offer the choice between sRGB and AdobeRGB in LRTExport: the intermediary files should be in the best quality and color range possible to leave all options open for later being able to choose the render settings with all flexibility.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#12 johnbedwards@comcast.net
Hi Gunther,

I am experiencing a color shift between my stills and my video.  Basically my sunset/sunrises colors are a bit muted in my final video.  Not a huge difference, but noticeable.  I have tried a variety of "experiments" which include the following:

1. Sunset sequence (RAW files, shot with Nikon D5)

2. Sunrise sequence (RAW files, shot with Nikon D5)

3. Intermediary sequence rendered in Lightroom (CC 2015) under the following settings
a. LRTimelapse
b. LRT (JPG, 4K)
c. LRT Pro (TIFF, 8bit)

4. Final video rendered in LRT 4.7.4  (ProRes)
a. 4K UHD - no post processing
b. 4K UHD - LRT motion blur, sharpen

5. Viewed sequence in Quicktime, VLC, and Adobe Premiere (CC 2017)

In all cases, there is a difference in color saturation difference between the still and the video.

When I then take the LRT stills, import them directly into Adobe Premiere, and then Export a video, the resulting Premiere video color matches the stills.  I am fine skipping LRT and using Premiere for video rendering, but from all I have read LRT is a much better program for producing a time lapse video.

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.  

John
#13 Gunther
Hi John, please check the following faq, then come back here. I don't have such color differences when I use the LRT Workflow and I work with Premiere Pro too.
https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-the...htroom-lrt
#14 johnbedwards@comcast.net
Thanks.  Yes I did see that post and believe I am following the suggestions.  So not sure what is occurring.  As I mentioned it is not a bad problem, it is only that the video version of the sunset/sunrise colors are not as vibrant as the stills when I use Premiere to export the LRT sequence.  I was thinking there is a simple setting I have wrong.  I will let you know if I figure it out.

Regardless of the above, thanks for creating such a great product and being so responsive to questions.  

Best

John
#15 Gunther
There is no setting. I'd recommend to use the LRTimelapse TIFF/8 bit export from Lightroom for the intermediary files and then render the videos in Prores. That should give you the best quality and normally no loss in color vibrance.
#16 Piak
Hi Gunther, just want to give a feedback also the same issue with color i have with my clip. It look desaturated and brighter when render using Preres. i am using iMac OSX Yosemite 10.10.5, 2.7ghz Intel Core i5 Graphic Intel Iris Pro 1536MB. Light roomCC 2015. LrTL5. i export with LRTL-Export using Tiff 8bit and then render using Prores-WideBT2020-422 or444. I tried to do it with jpg 8bit, this give a bit darker clip by MP4 H624 but the Prores still give the same. Btw, I compare it with the image from LR
#17 Gunther
It might be your player not interpreting the colors the right way. Please check out this faq: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-the...htroom-lrt
#18 Piak
I update OS and VLC but didnt help. Lastly I change from AdobeRGB to sRGB in advance tab for export. It look very close now with Prores. In the future i think i will try both and see which one give the best match .... thanks

...also check out: