• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

colour flickering in ORF sequence

#1 gmyny
Hi,

I'm looking for some wisdom - or at least some info about other people that might have experienced something similar - regarding the following problem:

I have a series of ORF files, shot with my Olympus OM-D E-M10. When importing them to Lightroom, setting a fixed WB and slightly pushing the exposure (+1 stop), there is a clear colour flickering visible (it's a MilkyWay shot; around the bright band some pictures are much more yellow and the background becomes more purple). I have some example pictures published here: https://pitufos.de/ORF/

Now the catch is that processing them with the OlympusViewer or dcraw does give correct results and no flickering (see pictures a and b.jpg). So Olympus is claiming that all is good, since with their software all is good indeed. Consequently I filed a LR bug report here: bug report
But this hasn't been particularly helpful yet. As far as I understand the guys there, the ORF files are already different.

The only solution to safe my sequences that I see right now is to convert all ORF files to TIFF with the Olympus Viewer, import them into LR and then go on as usual. Possible, but a bit annoying. I'm also not sure if that will preserve the full data?

As said above: Any advise or comment would be great. Thanks much!

-Stephan
#2 Gunther
I've experienced similar effects with older Nikon files (D7000 for example) when processing milky way shots. Still not sure if it's a sensor problem or a Lightroom problem. Anyway, it's nasty and to that time it was quite impossible to remove.
What might help today is to use the "Motion Blur Plus" feature when rendering with LRTimelapse. This will blend adjacent images and reduce this kind of color shifts significantly.

If you go for the tiff approach, make sure to convert those tiffs into DNG in Lightroom before editing them, in order for LRTimelapse to be able to work with them.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: