• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Compact camera with time time lapse capabilities

#1 steinardo
I'm looking for a small, but good compact camera with time lapse functionality, preferably with low frame rate video. It's for the orher casual work where I just want the video file direct without all the post work. I know that gopro and the Garmin competitor can do this but I feel those will not suffice as a decent camera. Any experience/suggestions?
#2 Fuzzy
(2017-04-16, 17:51)steinardo Wrote: I'm looking for a small, but good compact camera with time lapse functionality, preferably with low frame rate video. It's for the orher casual work where I just want the video file direct without all the post work. I know that gopro and the Garmin competitor can do this but I feel those will not suffice as a decent camera. Any experience/suggestions?

I have the Panasonic Lumix TZ71 (in some countries called TZ70), which can create timelapse videos in camera without additional software. With 5fps or 25fps. Nice camera with great zoom, but it's limited to shoot only 400 pictures per timelapse. That's why I now have a Canon 30D too, especially for timelapse. :-)

See manual: www.camera-usermanual.com/manuals/panasonic/Panasonic_LUMIX_DMC-TZ71.pdf

Shoot timelapse pictures: page 150-151
Convert timelapse pictures to video: page 180

Other Lumix models also support timelapse shooting and in-camera video conversion.
#3 Gunther
Yes, most compact and even mirrorless cameras are very limited when it comes to time-lapse shooting. I'd recommend a small Nikon (like 5x00) or Canon.

Mobile via Tapatalk.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 Fuzzy
And - in case of the Lumix TZ71 - you have to search very deep to find out, that the number of shots per timelapse is limited. This fact is not mentioned in the technical specs. :-(
Before I got mine, I thought that I can shoot unlimited pictures for timelapse and only battery or memory is the limit.
In my eyes, 400 pictures is a very low amount. With 25fps, the video will only be 16s long. :-(

Other companys see 400 pictures as limit for "Demo-Mode". :-)
#5 steinardo
Thanks for suggestions. I also later came across the camera feature search at dpreview. There you can filter cameras with timelapse functionality: https://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras#!
#6 Fiend_UK
(2017-04-19, 01:13)Fuzzy Wrote:
(2017-04-16, 17:51)steinardo Wrote: I'm looking for a small, but good compact camera with time lapse functionality, preferably with low frame rate video. It's for the orher casual work where I just want the video file direct without all the post work. I know that gopro and the Garmin competitor can do this but I feel those will not suffice as a decent camera. Any experience/suggestions?

I have the Panasonic Lumix TZ71 (in some countries called TZ70), which can create timelapse videos in camera without additional software. With 5fps or 25fps. Nice camera with great zoom, but it's limited to shoot only 400 pictures per timelapse. That's why I now have a Canon 30D too, especially for timelapse. :-)

See manual: www.camera-usermanual.com/manuals/panasonic/Panasonic_LUMIX_DMC-TZ71.pdf

I've been looking at this camera following your reply. What resolution does the time lapse mode shoot in?? I read that it was accessed via the movie mode, is it limited to 1920x1080 as per movies, or does it shoot in full resolution?? I have tried searching a LOT for this with no results.

Also if anyone has another other suggestions I would appreciate it. Hours of googling tends to bring up either out-of-production models (I have been using a recently-deceased Nikon Coolpix P340 but there is no direct replacement), or models wildly outside my budget. Incidentally that dpreview page does not seem to have any search boxes to check for interval timer / timelapse??

...also check out: