• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Computer implodes - need advice for timelapse-oriented purchase

#1 lightpanther
I was hoping to get away with using LRT and LR on my present laptop equipment, but it just doesn't seem to be possible. Hopefully, Gunther will allow me to uninstall one copy of LRT on the backup and install on a new laptop, so that I retain the two-concurrency requirement (the old laptop just can't handle it at all anyway, it crashes almost every time under loading or rendering.)

I am considering the following machine, and would appreciate thoughts on how it will perform, given that the main reason I am considering it is for timelapse creation and editing, with a secondary interest in other photographic and image processing capability (i.e. photoshop etc). Does this sound like a system that will perform well? I'm not great at "building my own hardware" so I tend to try to find the closest that is already out there. Are there any bad "gotchas" that anyone happens to see in this spec...i.e. am I about to make a big mistake in any of these technical specifics. I can handle the cost (though it is expensive). Here are the critical details of the proposed spec . Arrows indicate my points of concern.

Dell XPS 15 9560
Intel Core i7 2.8GHz four processors    <----- will this do the job well, and not just "adequately"?
32GB DDR4 SDRAM
1TB SSD hard drive  <---- No HDD, is this advisable
GeFOrce GTX 1050 graphics card, 4096 MB Graphic card ram size   <--- any issues anyone sees for LRT or LR6?
Windows 10 pro
#2 Gunther
The setup sounds good. Ich you want more speed for your TL workflow, go for more processor cores. If you get yourself a Threadripper with 16 cores, you can have Lightroom CC and LRTimelapse do 32 processes in Parallel. If you go for a processor with 4 physical cores only, you'll only get 8 processes in parallel.
You might want to have a look at the setup that I just recently built for my work, this is my german article via google translate: https://translate.google.com/translate?h...leitung%2F
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: