• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Connecting a D750 to an external battery

#1 Dave W
Can anyone recommend a solution for the following problem. My goal is to extend the shooting time beyond what is possible with an EN-EL15 (battery that comes with D750) without having to change batteries midway through a time lapse shoot or plug into AC. I think that all this needed is a connecting cable but I am not sure.

I have a D750 and a Nikon EP-5B power supply connector. I want to be able to connect the D750 via the EP-5B to an external battery like an Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro2 20000mAh, Dynamic Perception Pro Extreme, or a Goal Zero or similar external lead acid battery. The goal would be extend the shooting time without using a standard EN- EL15 battery, the battery grip for a D750, changing the battery, or plugging into AC. I have seen this for powering a 3 axis TB3 or Dynamic Perception set up.

The EP-5B has an odd shaped female connector that works with the Nikon AC adapter but apparently nothing else.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
#2 Gunther
I've once written a German article about how I power my equipment including the camera, maybe you could figure it out via google translate, here is a link:
https://translate.google.de/translate?sl...&edit-text=
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Dave W
Thanks for the link. This gives me a great idea where to begin. I will update this post if I figure it out so the next guy doesn't have to.
#4 macronencer
Please do update us if you manage it Dave, thanks! I have had this same complaint for a long time now with my Sony a77. I have a battery grip so I can use two batteries, and that's good enough for most shots, as they last up to about six hours even in the cold, and eight hours sometimes. However, this means I can't do an all-night or all-day shot without changing the batteries at some point, breaking the stability. It seems that camera manufacturers haven't woken up to this problem yet. How hard would it be to make a regulated PSU for cameras that runs from 12v? (I haven't read Gunther's article yet, but I will do - thanks Gunther!)

I'm especially interested in your solution, since I am planning to get a D750 if I can. The Sony Alpha isn't the best camera for time lapse, to say the least.
#5 scottenj
Take a Quantum battery pack such as the Turbo 3 and use a CD100 cable to plug it into the Nikon EP-5B. I run my D750 that way.
#6 nikonman05
Quote:Take a Quantum battery pack such as the Turbo 3 and use a CD100 cable to plug it into the Nikon EP-5B. I run my D750 that way.

This is quite an expensive solution. 624 $ at B&H.
#7 chasg
I know that this is an old thread, but I'm now powering a Sony A7II, a Nikon D7000 and a Nikon D3S with a TetherTools CaseRelay system. Very clever: I can use my 5V USB batteries and swap them out without depowering the camera.
Thumbs Up
#8 vepus
Already thinking about getting the Case Relay system. Working with liveview enabled on Nikon?
#9 chasg
Sorry, I missed this.

Yes, it'll work nicely with liveview turned on.
#10 crdeantonio
So glad I found this recommendation for the Case Relay.  Now I can put my several USB power bricks to good use!

...also check out: