• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Construction Timeapse

#1 gavin1f4
I am going to be doing my first construction time lapse next week. I have a few questions and see if anyone can help point me in the right direction. The location I will be shooting from is inside a building with power and wifi through a window. Was planning on using a couple of Nikon d5300's or d7200's with external intervalometers. First question is will the nikon hold up being on and taking pictures every 30 minutes for 6 months straight? Is this the simplest way to do it for an inexpensive setup?

My next question is about LRTimelapse. If I have a sequence that is more than 15,000 images (LRTimelapse limit), can I load 15,000 images at a time then filter out the night images then load more images in until I have the full sequence in there and less than 15,000 images? Thanks
#2 Gunther
In LRTimelapse there is no hard limit for the amount of images that you can process. But the official maximum supported amount is 15.000. The main reason is usability and performance. If you have larger amount of images, especially with the long term process it's very easy to split those into smaller sequences, do the filtering and merge the results together later. This is the best way to work and LRTimelapse brings all the tools for that.

To power those cameras over a long time, you could use a dummy battery. Then it shouldn't be a problem. Check out the LRT PRO Timer for triggering, which has been designed to be stable during such long time periods and also brings a special long term mode which allows you to define a time window for shooting for example: :https://lrtimelapse.com/lrtpt
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 gavin1f4
Thanks for the quick response. I am going to buy 2 timers today for the project. Is there any difference in your opinion using the Nikon D5200 vs D7200? Going to buy 2 used cameras for the project. Also is there a write up on how to work a large amount of images in batches? When I work on 15000 images at a time can I filter it down to lets say 1000 images and then add another 14000 images and filter down? Or do I need to filter them down all in sperate projects?
#4 Gunther
I think both cameras will do great. The 7x00 has the EN-EL15 battery, which is more wide spread and there are more dummy options for those than for the EN-EL14 in the D5x00.

For batch processing see the long term tutorial on https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/advanced
I'd recommend to filter in batches of around 15.000 images and only at the end copy the results together for a final filtering. The editing will then happen on the final subset.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 gavin1f4
Ok great thanks Gunther! Really appreciate it.

...also check out: