• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CPU, GPU and RAM for timelapse photography

#1 VkG64
Hey guys,

I just did some research on the forum, found some related posts but a bit outdated. I checked the FAQ but didn't find anything. I'm sorry if my question was answered somewhere and I coudn't find it.

I'm having a hard time defining what would be my needs in terms of computer power to comfortably work on timelapse photography. I'm not only thinking about LRTimelapse, but the complete process from photo editing to final video, so probably Lightroom, After Effects, Premiere and/or similar.
I'd like to have the opinion of timelapse photographers as I guess the requirements are not the same whether you use After Effects for timelapse edition or 3D rendering.

So, here we go: what amount of RAM should I consider? What kind of CPU? What part does the GPU play? Do I need a powerful GPU?

Thank you very much!

Have a great day.

Yan
#2 Gunther
GPU is not that important, I'd go for RAM (16GB at least) 2 fast SSDs, and a multi core processor (LRTimelapse 5 and Lightroom since CC Classic 7.2 definitely take profit from multiple cores.
In my German blog I've recently reported about the new computer that I assembled for my timelapse and video work. Maybe it can provide you some insights - here is the google translate version: https://translate.google.com/translate?s...t=&act=url
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 VkG64
Thank you Gunther. Just had a quick glance at your new computer, that's a beautiful beast you built there man! I'm gonna use it as a base to build my own.

Yan

...also check out: