• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

cropping in LR vs NLE

#1 yostopia
Just thinking aloud here... I'm wondering if anyone has any preferences for cropping in post. Assuming a raw high-res capture, there's a lot of flexibility to pan and zoom in post. The two options are:

1) Pan and zoom in LR and output to 1080p from there, basically locking in your post moves at that early stage,

or

2) Output a 4k video from LR and then implement pan and zooms in the NLE (FCP, Premier, etc).

The 2nd method preserves a lot of flexibility, at the expense of losing a little capture resolution (or a lot, in the case of raw captures with the 7360x4912 D800 sensor).

Of course a little bit of both is possible... doing some subtle moves in LR going to 4k, and then implementing more specific moves in post. There's also the issue of preserving temporal resolution (ie, outputting from LR at 30fps vs 24fps for smoothing pans, or even going to 60fps (which of course would dramatically change the TL capture requirements).

Gunther (or anyone else), do you think that there is any quality difference in the scaling algorithms used by LR vs the NLEs?
#2 Gunther
Yes, the scaling algorithms in Video-Processing Programs are far superior than the scaling of Lightroom. Lightroom always crops to full pixels. With high resolutions this normally isn't noticeable, but I would recommend exporting in 3K and making Pan/Zoom in Video Processing.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 yostopia
Thanks G... Is there any problem with exporting in 4K?
#4 Gunther
No, you could certainly export in 4K as well. But most of the times for me 3K is sufficent to make all my pan and zoom (I don't like to exaggerate it) so I mostly go for 3K when I plan on rendering in Full HD later.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: