• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Day to night timelapse; correct exposures, wrong colors

#1 gecco
I have been trying out LRT the last two days to check if it does the job, and so far it looks good except one little issue I have.

When LRT makes the transitions between the "left" and "right" keyframes the exposures seems to match up, but the colors in the sky seems to be much stronger after the "right" keyframe, as it should be, but LRT does not correct this properly. Is it user error or is this a limitation in the program?

I have tried three different ref. areas and with/without deflicker, the same issue persists.

Here is a video of the files that I have been using to test LRT with:
(At around 0:03, 0:07 and 0:13)
[Video: http://youtu.be/DYsgUD4TIS4]
#2 Gunther
Hi Gecco,
not LRTimelapse is responsible for matching the keyframes, you are ;-) If you use the Lightroom "Match total exposures" function, Lightroom does a good job with this, but especially for such areas like the bright sky in your sequences it's possible, that the left one has blown highlights and the right not so this leads to different color rendition.
I suggest using the hightlights slider of lightroom to try to recover those highlights as good as possible, drag the highlights slider to -50 or more for the whole sequence (all keyframes) to try to smoothen this out.
I always recommend underexposing a bit to prevent those effects when doing the holy grail.

But anyway: a great sequence, well edited! I assume if you take out the highlights you will be able to fix this.
Best
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 alexnail
I had exactly this problem when shooting jpeg. As Gunther says it is easy enough to correct manually. I found a saturation reduction and a tweak of the highlights slider completely solved the problem.
#4 gecco
Thanks for the reply!

It was easy enough to correct the colors in LR and it worked perfectly! Thanks so much!

...also check out: