• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Deflicker ISO Variation

#1 atengphotography
I am wondering if I'll be able to salvage a time lapse I shot of the milky way. I shot at at iso 4000 on my D7000 which left a fair amount of variation in the resulting exposures. I have been trying to tweak LRTimelapse to correct for the color variations as well as the slight luminance variations but have so far been unsuccessful. I have tried varying the deflicker parameters and selecting different areas of the frame. Is LRtimelapse deflicker anything other then just exposure? Also any suggestions on how to reduce iso flicker would be helpful
#2 Gunther
Hi,
I don't know what you mean with ISO flicker? Normally flicker affects only the exposure, if you do your shooting right. You should shoot in RAW, so WB should be fixed anyway. Shooting the milkyway will most likely happen with the aperture wide open, so usually no flickering here as well. I don't know what you did but normally when shooting the milky way I have no flicker at all. Might it be that you shot JPG and left Auto WB on?

For that kind of shoots you should crank up the Color-Noise reduction in Lightroom and apply a bit of lluminance noise reduction as well, maybe that reduces you "flicker".

Best
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 atengphotography
(2011-12-15, 12:53)gwegner Wrote: Hi,
I don't know what you mean with ISO flicker? Normally flicker affects only the exposure, if you do your shooting right. You should shoot in RAW, so WB should be fixed anyway. Shooting the milkyway will most likely happen with the aperture wide open, so usually no flickering here as well. I don't know what you did but normally when shooting the milky way I have no flicker at all. Might it be that you shot JPG and left Auto WB on?

For that kind of shoots you should crank up the Color-Noise reduction in Lightroom and apply a bit of lluminance noise reduction as well, maybe that reduces you "flicker".

Best
Gunther

It was all shot in raw, the lens aperture ring was set to 2.8 manually by turning the lens so it wasn't locked completely on. The White Balance was set to a custom temp but I changed them all to the same in Camera Raw anyways. I put the color noise reduction up to 100, color detail to 20, luminance noise reduction at 20 and detail at 50. I'm going to attach the first 4 frames of the sequence so you can see what I mean. First on the top last on the bottom.

#4 Gunther
Hi, from what you wrote it seems you have done everything right on shooting.
Have you any Idea, what could have caused that color changes? I've never had such a phenomenon.
Please double check that Camera Raw/Lightroom synched the whitebalance correctly to every image (you could see this in the table in LRT) - ACR/LR suck at synching sometimes.
#5 Gunther
BTW: great shots! ;-)
#6 atengphotography
All the files show that they are all set to the same values. The only thing I can think of is that the shot is at a high iso so the noise coming from the camera sensor is not consistent. Shots I've done with the same method at lower ISO values have shown no problems. I was more wondering if there was a software solution to reduce this effect. In future shots I just plan to use lower ISO's, I was just hoping to salvage this set of photos. Is there any software that correct for color flicker not just exposure? That's the only thing I could think of that would fix this other then going through each frame manually. I'm glad you like the shots though been trying to figure out how to best photograph the milky way
#7 Gunther
I've never had that effect, even with high Iso. And currently I honestly don't know how to fix ist.
#8 joaoomarquea
Has any of you found a solution for this? I have the exact same problem here.
#9 Gunther
Do you get the effect without applying any edits in Lightroom? If so it's the sensor (I used to experience this with the Nikon D7000 Sensor) - if not - it's the Lightroom edits. Try to remove them and check. Especially Clarity and Whites/Blacks might introduce this effect.

Using Motion Blur Plus in "medium" or "high" might help to remove the effect.
#10 joaoomarquea
I get this effect straight out of the camera. Unfortunately it looks like it's the sensor. The variations in the noise coming from the sensor create different colors between shots.

The edits in Lightroom are only making it worse.

I'd need some color stabilizer software to equalize all the pictures. Doing this manually must be a nightmare.

Please, any help to find a solution is greatly appreciated.

...also check out: