• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Less nagging about software updates

#1 zzyzx
I see two pop-ups on start-up of LRTimelapse, one to update LRTimelapse and another to update DNG Converter. I get it that Gunther is working hard on improvements, but I don't really need every bug-fix release. Meanwhile Adobe has stopped supporting my old operating system, so I will never get the latest DNG Converter. My current set-up is stable, and I'm happy with it. LRTimelapse is working great.

That's all fine; I can dismiss the pop-ups. The problem happens every couple hours when LRTimelapse repeats the version checks, interrupting whatever I am doing.

Feature request: limit version checks to one time, on start-up.
#2 Gunther
The reason for update checks while LRTimelapse is running is that many users don't shutdown their computer and apps at all. Especially Mac users tend to keep everything open. If LRTimelapse would check for updates only on startup, they would never get any update reminders.

For once you can reduce the number of update reminders if you are not on the beta channel. To switch to the regular (slower) update channel, disable the beta update setting in the LRTimelapse settings (if you have it active) via "Settings / Application Settings / Notify on new beta updates", then close LRTimelapse and install the latest non-beta from https://lrtimelapse.com/download/

Regarding the DNG Converter: normally it's really important to have the latest DNG Converter installed, because new cameras etc. will only be supported on the latest version. However, since you seem to have that special situation that you cannot currently update it because of your hardware, you can turn off the update notifications at all in the LRTimelapse configuration.
To do so:
  • Press Ctrl-Shift-E (on Mac: Cmd-Shift-E) while in LRTimelapse - this will open the LRTimelapse config file in an editor.
  • Close LRTimelapse (!)
  • Find the line: "checkForNewVersion": true,
  • Change it to "checkForNewVersion": false,
Save the file and restart LRTimelapse.

Please note, that I won't give support with any issues, if you don't update and don't use the latest version of LRTimelapse.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 zzyzx
Thanks, that worked to disable the version checks.

...also check out: