• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Deflickering Issues

#1 bbreun
Hi Gunther,

No matter how many times I try to run deflicker, the pink curve appears to not be affected. I did my best to try to read all your previous advice on how to get a deflicker curve to smooth out, but no matter what I try, deflicker doesn't appear to have any effect on moving my pink visual luminance curve closer to the green curve.

Here's my recent shoot: I did a 1.5 hour day-to-night timelapse using the holy grail technique. I had my camera on manual, and adjusted the shutter by 1/3-increments as the sun went down to keep the scene lit appropriately. I followed the visual workflow, used the holy grail wizard, and edited my 7 keyframes (7 frames was what the software recommended). I did push my keyframes a bit to help brighten the shadows, but I don't think my editing was too outrageous. Then I ran my visual previews, then ran deflicker, but didn't see any smoothing in the luminance curve after running deflicker.

I then tried lots of deflicker techniques, including multi-pass, changing the accuracy to "more", and selecting only the sky portion of my scene to help give LRTimelapse a consistent light-to-dark area to reference. I also tried using a very conservative green-curve smoothing, but that didn't work either. Nothing I've tried has appeared to make any smoothing, it just runs and finishes and looks the same as when it started.

Thank you for your guidance, I've tried my best to follow your previous advice but I'm stuck!
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
Something definitely doesn't seem right there. Is it possible that you didn't take care of the gradients when editing? When working with LRT you cannot add or remove any gradients, only use the ones provided by LRTimelapse (4 linear, 2 circular).
Please try reediting the sequence from scratch: metadata / initialize in LRT, remove the sequence from lightroom. Then start over.
Do a simple editing ( you can use less keyframes, the KF-Wizard only makes a suggestion). Use a reference area for deflickering.
Deflickering should definitely make a huge difference and after a couple of passes the pink curve is usually smooth.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 bbreun
Okay I tried your suggestions and I got it to work! I tried using just 4 keyframes, I kept my editing more conservative, and I tried initiating my import via LRTimelapse instead of starting in Lightroom. Something in there worked, because the curve was nice and smooth.

Here's the finished product! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ohJa6R1...e=youtu.be

Thanks for your help, your product is awesome.
#4 Gunther
Glad you got it working! Result looks good, next time make sure to work with longer exposure times (ND Filter) to blur the people in foreground. This will also make editing much easier, because the contrast changes of people popping in and out will not be so high and therefore editing will be easier. check out the "Northen Lights" example in this video tutorial, where I explain the matter: https://youtu.be/xb6UZsUEpSI (watch the whole video).
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: